• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forbidden territory

phillaurie

Garlic soup.

Made it for me and the pooch last night to celebrate the first autumn winds.

8 oz of bacon

8 oz of fresh garlic

my own defrosted chicken stock

basil from the garden

NY cheddar

brown bacon, reserve fat

cook garlic until it begins to turn golden

add stock, bring to a boil

simmer for 40 minutes

chop basil, bacon and add as topping

shred and add cheese

Dee will be back from Texas on Wednesday, by which time most of the smell will be gone. But she will know.

Wives always know...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Kidneys, very rapidly seared and then served with a sauce made from pan juices deglazed with marsala or sherry, a bit of Dijon mustard and just perhaps a spoonful of cream, if I'm feeling villainous. Side dishes: dunno. Mashed potato and salad?

Actually, the lady wife is out tonight. Thanks for the legup....

Adam

We should meet and be villainous «à deux»! :wink:

Mussels, lobster and most fish except haddock.

Would it be safe to say that foodies tend to bond with picky eaters? (picky as opposed to discriminating, of course.) I know it's true in my case. There's very few things I won't eat, but the list of things my wife won't touch is voluminous.

The funny thing is, though, I rarely will cook just for myself. So the only real time I get to eat stuff that she refuses to touch is when we eat out, and then I get to watch her squirm and fuss as she looks at my plate.

Would it be safe to say that foodies tend to bond with picky eaters? (picky as opposed to discriminating, of course.) I know it's true in my case. There's very few things I won't eat, but the list of things my wife won't touch is voluminous.

The funny thing is, though, I rarely will cook just for myself. So the only real time I get to eat stuff that she refuses to touch is when we eat out, and then I get to watch her squirm and fuss as she looks at my plate.

I was thinking of starting a thread about this! I'm in a mixed-taste relationship too. She calls me a food snob, but I'm willing to eat far more things than she is. And I too have to cook around her dislikes and aversions. No onions, not because of the taste, but the texture (ugh), mushrooms, most vegetables except for raw spinach, bland lettuce, corn, some peas, lima and butter beans, and no Chinese food. Very few strong or distinctive flavors. She is coming around though, at least she can do Mexican, Indian, and Japanese food now.

As for mixed tastes, I guess I am really lucky that my husbands eats almost everything, and likes to eat just as much as I like to cook. When we first married he had a lot of dislikes (broccoli, shiitake, asparagus, etc), but most of it was because his mother only prepared veggies in the same way. Broccoli was always served steamed then cooled with mayo, shiitake was only in soups, asparagus was only the white canned ones tossed into a salad. Once I started preparing them in different ways he came to love them.

I couldn't imagine cooking for someone who didn't like onions. A friend of mine can't eat onions in any form and when she came over a while back for dinner I made a meatloaf with no onions. Never again. The same woman, when she saw my monster crock full of garlic, asked me what I use garlic in because she had never used it before! :shock::shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

As for mixed tastes, I guess I am really lucky that my husbands eats almost everything, and likes to eat just as much as I like to cook. When we first married he had a lot of dislikes (broccoli, shiitake, asparagus, etc), but most of it was because his mother only prepared veggies in the same way. Broccoli was always served steamed then cooled with mayo, shiitake was only in soups, asparagus was only the white canned ones tossed into a salad. Once I started preparing them in different ways he came to love them.

I couldn't imagine cooking for someone who didn't like onions. A friend of mine can't eat onions in any form and when she came over a while back for dinner I made a meatloaf with no onions. Never again. The same woman, when she saw my monster crock full of garlic, asked me what I use garlic in because she had never used it before! :shock:  :shock:

What I usually end up doing is to puree the onions and add that to the dish.

I recently watched a documentary called Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers released in 1980. It was weird in that a lot of it was a defense of using garlic in cooking. I couldn't imagine having to do that today. It's worth watching if you like that sort of thing, if nothing else for seeing Alice Waters and Ruth Reichel 20 years younger.

I guess it's difficult for some to overcome bad childhood experiences with certain foods.

That sounds like a new topic, doesn't it? :hmmm:

Anything very spicy or very condimented (including curries, spicy gumbos and jambalaya's). Also anything that's very "Lebanese" is how she puts it. This means stuff with lots of "pomgranate molasses", cinnamon, rose water... She really is not very picky though because she will eat pretty much all of the above as long as it is not too intensly flavored.. if that makes sense.

So when she's out I normally would cook the spicy stuff especially the curries. Actually that was Friday night's dinner (while she was out with some friends), ground lamb curry cooked in yogurt with lots of fresh chiles, and for dessert it was "mistek" and rosewater icecream with pistashios.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 8 years later...

I've been fortunate enough to have bfs who are pretty adventurous eaters, but I once dated someone who wouldn't eat anything that had "flesh"--no beef, pork, or poultry. But would eat fish which is still flesh, but is for some reason, "different". And although nothing cooked with chicken or beef stock would be consumed, eggs would. That didn't make any sense to me because to me, consuming eggs would be far closer to consuming flesh than stock would be.