• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forbidden territory

phillaurie

Your partner is out with her/his mates at the local Thia, the kids are in bed, you've been shopping and heading into forbidden territory. The meal they hate.......

For me tonight this was Lambs liver ( superior even to calves in my opinion ), with smoked streaky bacon from Portwine butchers in Londons Covent Garden ( no debate here its the best ) and golden fried onions on a mound of mashed potatos ( made the French way with its cooking liquid, butter and salt and pepper no cream or milk ). The blood from the liver soaks into the potatos, a dollop of dijon was almost but not quite superflous.

I'll have to clean up now ao that she can in no way tell what has passed. But as areward I think I'll get that 30 year old cask strength Whiskey out.

Baby sitting is hard, but somebody has to do it !

Whats your forbidden territory? :biggrin:

Spareribs baked in saurkraut. Nobody in my family will eat it except me. I always make it when no one is home.

For my husband it's creamed corn. He always waits till I'm out of town on business to have his "creamed corn and movie night" fest.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh , the list is endless. Frogs legs, pungent curries, al dente pasta, and anything with uncooked olive oil poured over it. But we are making progress. Snails used to be high on the list, but the Beloved ate a mound of winkles at Aquagrill recently, and what's the difference? :cool:

He hates anything bechamelly or eggy. So, scratch white cheddar mac and cheese, cold poached salmon with a side of mayonnaise, entre souffle (he'll eat the dessert ones.)

When I'm out of town he can eat all the hotdogs his heart desires. I've hated them all my life.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My (Japanese) husband hates okonomiyaki, a Japanese savoury pancake made with cabbage and anything else your heart desires, topped off with okonomiyaki sauce (similar to tonkatsu sauce), mayo, and bonito flakes. :biggrin:

He also hates fruits cooked in any way, so when he is gone I throw pinapple on my pizza and whip up some sweet and sour pork.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My boyfriend hates saffron.

I wouldn't use it that often anyway, but when you've got a hankering for paella or saffron butter sauce it's a bit of a pain.

Luckily, he shares my passion for smoked paprika...

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

My husband is not keen on shellfish ... so when he is away I enjoy fixing something like steamed clams, shrimp, or crab. He also doesn't care for pizza or blackened salmon caesar salad, which are more of my favorites... so I always have plenty of options when he is away.

Kidneys, very rapidly seared and then served with a sauce made from pan juices deglazed with marsala or sherry, a bit of Dijon mustard and just perhaps a spoonful of cream, if I'm feeling villainous. Side dishes: dunno. Mashed potato and salad?

Actually, the lady wife is out tonight. Thanks for the legup....

Adam