• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamon Iberico

Dryden

Picked some up this past weekend - it's steeply priced, though - $90/lb for machine sliced and $99 by hand. But it is totally amazing...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Was the brand Fermin? I believe that was recently reintroduced at Jaleo in DC.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's probably not bellota. Just the "normal" Iberico, which is still pretty sick.

ETA: Haven't the Atelier(s) Joel Robuchon been claiming to serve Iberico for a while now? How is that possible? The whole Iberico-in-the-US thing is great, but confusing.

ETA redux: Via Grub Street, "Intriago assures us that more hams are on the way, but if you’re going to blow money on a pound of the stuff, keep in mind it’s the free-range ibérico and not the top-shelf “bellota,” which is made from pigs that are fed on acorns for the last four months of their lives. That variety, which we taste-tested a while back, will be available in July of next year."

Edited by BryanZ (log)

According to Grub Street, it's being served at Mercat, for a mere $14/plate--but will likely double in price next week.

ETA: "...it’s the free-range ibérico and not the top-shelf “bellota,” which is made from pigs that are fed on acorns for the last four months of their lives. That variety, which we taste-tested a while back, will be available in July of next year."

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ate and drank my way through Madrid a few weeks ago, and had Jamon Iberico every morning, noon and night, so pretty much at every opportunity.

I even brought home about a pound of the stuff, but I don't think I paid nearly that much. In fact, I know I paid about $30 for it. Can't wait to open it...

Still, I'm happy to see it's finally in the US. That stuff is proof that God exists.

Cheers! :cool:

It isn't the bellota, it's just the straight iberico. They say the bellota will be available around March-April.

Edited by Dryden (log)

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Fermin was introduced about a year ago but a few months after supply ran out, due to a USDA inspection -- according to Central Market. So I take it is now available and I should run down to Central Market to badger them to pick it up again.

Update from Grub Street:

"Commenter Cla Lll points out that Bellota is actually available at Dean and DeLuca at the moment. We checked and they do have thirty USDA-approved hams, guest residents admitted to our shores by the USDA as a preview of hams to come. The price is a cool $75 per pound."

I might run down after work and get some...

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

It's very sweet, nutty, tender, and dark (wild?). That last part could just be my imagination though. It's not very salty at all. The fatty part is very tender (falls apart if you look at it sideways) and melts in your mouth.

It's delicious. We polished off 1/4 lb. in about five minutes, paired with some toasted Tom Cat baguette.

gallery_51017_5481_123971.jpg

Edited by kathryn (log)

I'm salivating...I had ibericos at Jaleo in DC last Christmas, actually, so I know that has been around.  Jose Andres has a few connections, anyway ;)

Jose has actually been instrumental in working with Embutidos Fermin to get the product over here.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Dropped by Despana today for a 1/4 pound of the Iberico. To confirm, it is the free range stuff, not bellota, and it's quite good, though not nearly of the level of the best that I've had in Spain (various bellotas, notably Joselito Gran Reserva). They sell it machine-sliced for $90 a pound or hand sliced for $99. If you care about slicing method, make sure to say so, or they will default to machine slicing, sometimes without asking. Serious ham geeks say machine slicing raises the temperature of the ham, which isn't desirable, though it could be argued how much this is perceptible.

They told me that Despana would be getting some bellota in the spring some time. Still, it's worth knowing that the really elite hams won't make it to the States any time soon, as the Gran Reservas and other really desirable Joselito hams are spoken for even before they are made...kind of like buying wine futures.

What I got from Dean and Deluca last night was labeled as Bellota, though. $75/lb. Grub Street verified this with their corporate folks:

"[Grub Street] checked and they do have thirty USDA-approved [bellota] hams, guest residents admitted to our shores by the USDA as a preview of hams to come."

What I got from Dean and Deluca last night was labeled as Bellota, though. $75/lb. Grub Street verified this with their corporate folks:

"[Grub Street] checked and they do have thirty USDA-approved [bellota] hams, guest residents admitted to our shores by the USDA as a preview of hams to come."

That is a relative bargain that is, I suspect, priced as such to whet people's appetites for more when it comes in

Twitter - @docsconz

It's probably not bellota.  Just the "normal" Iberico, which is still pretty sick.

ETA:  Haven't the Atelier(s) Joel Robuchon been claiming to serve Iberico for a while now?  How is that possible?  The whole Iberico-in-the-US thing is great, but confusing.

i believe you are right...i know that the l'atelier in tokyo (roppongi) had it and i had a long conversation with my server about how I couldn't get it in the US. in the end, my server insisted that they had it at the NYC l'atelier.