• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dual Fuel Range or all Gas?

gfweb

We are redoing the kitchen and are agonizing over what to buy. The big problem is deciding between a gas oven and an electric one.

Consumer Reports says no difference between the two, but they have been wrong before.

Any difference in time to reach temp? Evenness of heating?

Other issues I haven't thought of?

So what does the eG expert panel say?

electric ovens do maintain a more consistent temperature, but not so much that unless you are doing very delicate, very complicated baking, i don't think you are going to notice. Note: duel fuel ovens are slightly smaller, which is ultimately why I went with traditional gas...so I could fit a full sheet pan in.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

When I purchased a new range this spring, I opted to spend the price difference (gas vs. dual) on a higher end gas range. My new oven is huge, has 'true European convection', proofing and dehydrating settings, etc. I'm very pleased with its performance.

Another matter to consider: if you switch to an electric oven, you will most likely need an electrician to run another 220 line.......

I really like to bake and prefer electric ovens for even heat. I have also heard that gas ovens have higher humidity levels (water being a byproduct of combustion) which could adversely affect delicate dry items like meringues, but be beneficial in baking breads.

My previous experience with gas ovens was at the lower end so that may have negatively influenced my opinion.