• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any wine shops that carry a large variety of Sake?

kurl

Well...I stopped by Mitsuwa today and I must say it is pretty neat. They have the largest selection and variety of Sake I have seen. I was able to pick up the sake I was looking for and also tried another one. They have a large selection of both hot and cold sake.

What really amazed me was how clean this place was. Both the Market and food court area looked immaculate. If i hadn't read about people going there 7 years ago I would have thought it was new. Its nice to see this when shopping for food.

Back to the food...

Now, they also have a lot of noodles, fish, meat, sauces, veggies and soy sauces, but I have been to many markets in queens with a similar selection. This is definitely the biggest selection of everything under one roof. I don't live in Manhattan so shopping there would be a bit of a chore for me. I am also not familiar with the shops in Manhattan so I can;t really compare.

The food court is an added bonus. I had Ramen soup and it was quite tasty. It was ramen miso soup with pork. I am no ramen expert, but this was really good.

Overall, this is a great market that I will return to whenever in the area.

The east village place is called sakaya. They're really into their sakes and super helpful so even if they don't carry the particular sake you're after i'm sure they can either find something similar or look into placing a special order for you .

the blog:

http://www.sakayanyc.com/blog/wordpress/

Yes, I see they've opened! These are friends of mine (particularly Hiroko, who is also eGullet member ankomochi, but hasn't posted lately). This is a place dedicated to sake only. These folks are very serious. Do contact them if you're not finding the sake you're looking for elsewhere.

Oooh, passed on that info to my boyfriend. At the very least he might be able to use them if he does trades/secret santa with other people on RateBeer who rate sake...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 weeks later...
The people who run Landmark have actually tasted everything they sell---try finding that at Mitsuwa.  I'm also not sure that Mitsuwa has more types of Sake, I was at Mitsuwa a few months ago and they selection didn't look bigger or better than Landmark.  Raji, have you actually been to Landmark recently.

Only seen it from the outside, next time I'll go in; they have quite the Sake corner going. Mitsuwa still has more, and is cheaper, but I would just go to Landmark or Ambassador unless you have a ride or the free time to take the Port Authority (or now the NY Waterway ferry) to Edgewater -

The store I was thinking of serving the surrounding Japanese night businesses is Ambassador and this is what they have:

http://ambassadorwines.com/page/o4z6/Sake.html

Fuki Sake 750 ML

-----------------------------

Fu Ki

Haru Sake

Kyoka Sake

Mizubasho Sake

Ozeki 1.5 L

Momokawa Emerald

Momokawa Pearl Sake

Momokawa Ruby Sake

Momokawa Saphire

Momokawa Topaz Sake

Hukusan Sake

Aramasa 720 ML

Aramasa sake 1.8 L

Bishonen sake 1.8 L

Daihichi Kaiden Sake 720 ML

Gek Horin 720 ML

Gokyo Sake 720 ML

Hakusan Premium Sake

Harushika Sake 1.8 L

Harushika Sake 720 ML

Hitori Masume 720 ML

Hitori Masumi 1.8 L

Kamoizumi Sake 1.8 L

Kariho Namahage

Kahiro Namahage Sake 1.8 L

Koshinohomake Shizuku 720 ML

Kurasowa Sake 720 ML

Kurosawa 1.8 L

Madonoume Hanasaika Sake

Masamune Sake

Meibo Yowanotsuki Sake 500 ML

Mu Sake 720 ML

Nishinoseki Sake 1.8 L

Minowamon Sake 720 ML

Momijigari Sake 500 ML

Mouriko Sake 500 ML

Mukashizukuri Sake

Nama Sake 300 ML

Nanburyu

Nanbushi 500 ML

Nikko Kiri Furi

Obanburumai

Oh Kagura Sake 1.8 L

Okagura Sake

Oninoshitaburui Sake 500 ML

Rikaauimei Sake 500 ML

Rin Sake 500 ML

Sakemizuki Sake 500 ML

Sekainohana 1.8 L

Shinkun Sake 500 ML

Shoin Sake 500 ML

Suishoka Sake

Tenchi Kaibyaku 500 ML

Tenkyu Sake 500 ML

Tokubetsu Junmai

Yamagata Honten Kaori 300 ML

Yashi Ori No

Yatsushika

Yufuin White Label

Akita Homare Sake

Ayakiku Sake

IIchiko Shochu 750 ML

Itami Onigoroshi 1.8 L

Kakujo Sake 1.8 L

Kakujo Sake 720 ML

Mutsu Otokoyama Sake

Nanbutoji Sake

Sawanoi Sake

Shirakawago Sake

Shirayuki Sake Extra Dry

Takara Plum Wine

Zen Sake 720 ML

Sho Chiku Bai Sake 750 ML

Takaisami

Takinokoi Jyun

Tamano Hikari Jyun

Tamano Hikari Daig

Taru Sake

Tentaka Kokoro Jyun Gin

Tokusen Tamano 1.8 L

Tomio Yuki 1.8 L

Tomio Yuki 720 ML

Ume No Yado 720 ML

Ume No Yado 1.8 L

Ume No Yado Daiginjo

Landmark unfortunately doesn't publish what they have but I believe they have 80 varieties - that's what their ad says in the japanese newspaper

http://www.landmarkwines.com/

• 11 years later...

Sake Fest this coming Saturday (tomorrow), November 2nd, at Hester Street Fair.

Hester Street Fair, Sake Discoveries and The Izakaya are proud to present our first annual Sake Festival featuring the best sake breweries from Japan alongside a variety of Japanese food and other unique vendors! We will also be welcoming Master brewers from Japan pouring sake for you.

Full info...https://hesterstreet...-sake-festival/

Gonna be a lot of drunk people in my back yard.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?