• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Classifieds

Chris Amirault

Welcome to the Culinary Classifieds topic, in which food industry professionals can post job announcements or post about positions they are seeking. All posts must be reviewed by an appropriate host or manager: please contact support@egullet.org if you have a submission.

All submissions must include:

• detailed job description
  • job location (business, address)
  • contact information (PM, email, phone, fax)
  • links to relevant other material

All correspondence concerning jobs must take place off eG Forums. Only one post per listing is allowed.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 months later...

We have expanded the kitchen brigade here at ********** Resort and I am in search of a pastry assistant to work in Beautiful rural Vermont. The ideal person would be well rounded, energetic, enthusiastic, willing to learn, food-focused and extremely detail-oriented. Ideally I am looking for someone recently graduated or at an early point in their career although this position is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to progress to the 5-star level. The position is full time, with excellent benefits, vaca, 401k, etc. and possible on-property housing to boot. Pay depends on what you can bring to the table. We run a tight kitchen filled with foodies. We love what we do and strive for perfection without the all too-hard-core, ball-busting, militant attitude. A good majority of our kitchen staff have been here for 5 years or longer, some 9, 10, and 11; the kitchen is well equipped (steam hearth ovens, pacojet, sheeter, tons of china, space, etc...) and is an excellent place to work.

The Resort recieves awards every year and is, and has been a Mobil 5-star property for the last 13 years, we feature only 20 exclusive rooms and cottages set on a few hundred acres with our own ski hill, pond, spa, multi acre organic garden, and more. We have not recieved a Mobil rating for food, simply because our restaurant is not open to the public! Since our property is not open to the public we therefore we have a maximum of 40 guests on property (there is, however, never a shortage of work). Room rates range from $1,100 to $3,200 per night and our guests expect nothing short of perfection.

As for the position; I run a 100% scratch operation and we produce a full range of products from almost every aspect of patisserie and boulangerie:

-Daily production of Artisanal hearth breads, rolls, flatbreads for lunch and dinner; Breakfast pastry includes laminated, enriched and quick breads as well as afternoon tea service products. All Fairly traditional yet forward thinking.

-Our main focus is on plated dessert; 1 dessert course for lunch (2-3 course meal), 2 dessert courses for dinner, sometimes cheese (5-8 course tasting menu format) as well as dinner petit fours and evening turndowns. The desserts, as well as the savory food, are all encompassing and purely progressive, blending classic theory with modern applications and techniques (kind of like -dare I say- The French Laundry meets WD-50 :wacko:

-We also produce a line of hand made artisan chocolates and confections soon to hit the market. Look out Mr. Recchiuti' :cool:

-The other fun note is that whether our guests stay 2 nights or 12...they will never see the same dish, bread, tea or turndown twice!!

-And this is just the short list...

Needless to say, the position of pastry assistant is an enormous learning opportunity for a motivated, dedicated foodie. Or an excellent position for an experienced pastry chef wanting to get out of the rat race of the city, but still work with high-end cuisine. The position is available now and I will not fill it until I find the right person.

Please help me spread the word and find that person!!!

Resumes can be sent to DessertsByDesign@aol.com or e-mail me and I can give you a fax and phone number.

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Da Pastry Chef

-CW

• 2 months later...

Thuets flagship restaurant is currently looking for a full time evening bread baking assistant. No experience is required, just eagerness and a quick pair of hands. I am staging there a few nights a week but the current assistant is moving to the new Thuet location Atelier. Its a very laid back environment, with an unbelievable amount of knowledge to be gained. Toronto life described it as "the best bread in Toronto, hands down". As imcurrently eating a pain au lait bun stuffed with gruyere and smoked ham i can certainly attest to its tastiness. The position will be one-on-one with the master bread maker David Wilson, as well as interaction with the pastry chef. Anyone interested in this opportunity reply here and I'll put you into contact with Mr. wilson himself. Worse case scenario pop by Thuet and support artisan bakers by buying and consuming many loaves.

• 2 months later...

I will be finally graduating culinary school in a few weeks and need to start sending out my resume. I want to work in NYC at a job that pays and is fairly upscale. Does anyone work or have worked on the line any place in NYC that they recommend? I was hoping to do Italian cuisine, but since I am not picky, I just can't wait to get back on the line or in a prep position.

Edited by AnxiousCowboy (log)

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in this position, please send a PM to jtphjl. -- CA

The Obama National Campaign in Ohio is heading into the critical get-out-the-vote crunch of the last three weeks. Their ground campaign is run by about 50 staff and full-time volunteers in a "bullpen" in Columbus, who will be working pretty much around the clock for the next three weeks. They have an industrial kitchen there, and they are looking for a full-time cook who can feed the troops through Election Day. They will supply the supplies and the equipment, and will put the cook up in supporter housing.

If you know someone who's had experience cooking for large groups and could take the next three weeks off to volunteer in Ohio, please steer them my way.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 1 month later...

Ridgewood New Jersey is proud to host the State's oldest birthday celebration for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The day begins with an interfaith service (10:00) ceremony & walk through the village followed by a community lunch at noon. The day ends with an afternoon entertainment program.

The community lunch receives donations from Kings, Whole Foods and Stop & Shop, Mc Donalds (Burgers) Wendy's (chili) for side dishes - there is a committee volunteer who coordiantes donations for the day.

I am looking for a cook to prepare the lunch's traditional servings of soup, fried chicken, biscuits, sandwhiches and dessert. The lunch draws aprox. 400. (You will have several "church folk" to help prepare, cook, serve and shop!)

The stipend is $250.00 for the cook - :(

The budget is $1500.00 for food & provision of paper products.

Any one interested, let's talk... Jan 201 670-1610

This is really a volunteer position I realise -- and a token opportunity to put out a business card if so inclined... The last cook recently retired after 27 years (she is 87) - last year a local church member volunteered - he can not take off from work this year --

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 month later...

And looking. If anyone knows of a job out there please let me know. Thanks, David AKA Chefdg

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

• 4 weeks later...

Executive chef sought for a beautiful venue in Cambridge, MA. The Chef will be responsible for planning and implementing catering menus for parties from 2 to 200. A true foodie with a passion for food trends and fine dining is needed. If you are creative and looking for a unique opportunity, this is the position for you.

Chef Manager sought for Corporate Dining facility on Long Island (NY). Client is very demanding, champagne taste and a beer budget. If you're looking for something close to home with great hours and want to "flex your culinary muscle", this is the job for you.

If you are interested, please email me at ilana@civilizedpeople.com. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

From Toby Maloney, member Alchemist:

Bartenders, servers and barbacks wanted:

Calling all bartenders, cooks, baristas, foodies:

The Patterson House, located at 1711 Division in Nashville TN, is launching a high end cocktail bar to be opened in early April.

We are looking for passionate people with exceptional palates who know the value of following a recipe to tend the bar, serve and barback in a classic, culinary style. We will press our own juices daily, utilize egg whites and make our own bitters. While labor intensive and mentally challenging, the end results will be rewarding on multiple levels.

Be prepared to spend a full week (50 hours + homework) in training.

For a more comprehensive idea of the scope of our program, please follow this link to a recent NY Times article and pay particular attention to the paragraph on minimalism.

In your cover letter, please include a brief insight as to why you want this job.

Please send to thepattersonhouse@gmail.com

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

It increasingly looks as if I am shortly to part company with my employers of 17 years. With the economy as it is, and at the age of 53, I'm not expecting to get a well paid job in a hurry.

I have a share in a (very much wet led) pub in West Wales, that is now really struggling, so my plan is to move there full time in a few months and try to relaunch it as a food led operation.

I will be in London and not working (though at the moment still being paid) for the next 2 or 3 months , and would really appreciate any offers of unpaid work experience in a professional kitchen environment.

I'm a reasonably competant home cook and have plenty of experience of banging out Sunday lunch for 30 to 40 people in the pub as well as of managing a coffe shop/cafe operation and bars as part of my day job.

Looking for anything from the odd day to 3 months , doing any thing kitchen related as long as their is an opportunity to learn and get experience.

If anyone can offer any opportunity, or point me in the right direction for finding such opportunities, I'd be really grateful. I'm based in central north west london, but happy to travel anywhere in London area.

• 1 month later...

Hello,i want to expose my personal situation

I want go to US to make an internship in a nice restaurant.I found one page that can help me during the process to obtain the j-1 visa and all the paperwork: www.allianceabroad.com .They have two options :They found the restaurant and the housing and help me with the paperwork.Or, i found a eployeer and they do the conexion between him/her and me and do the paperwork.I´ve spoken with those guys and they look serious and confirmed me all the info.

I am more interested in the second option,my question is if you think i can find any good restaurant that want me in the crew for 6 months or 1 year.If the restaurant is really nice i can work free or with a very little compensation.

On the other hand the guys from the page told me that my CV is one of the best in culinary arts and the coordinator is really convinced he can find me a nice job/internship with a 1200-1500Usd payment, but i don´t know what is a "nice job" for him.

I will finish my culinary arts school in San sebastian (Spain) in october, I´ve made stages in all kind of restaurants incluiding michelin star restaurants,and in 2007 i have worked 6 months in a restaurant in Miami.

I hope you can give me some advices and tips!

Thanks

(sorry about my english,i wish i can increase my level in some months!)

• 3 weeks later...

From Chef from Clarens:

I'm keen to see if there are any chefs (25-30years old) but could be older who would like to have a working holiday in South Africa. I have a 3* 20 roomed hotel, a stand alone up-market but not quite fine dining mainly steak restaurant as well as a little coffee shop. We are based in the little village of Clarens in the Eastern Free State mountains next to the Kingdom of Lesotho in South Africa. I would love to host a chef or two for 6-8 months in our kitchens, then send them on to friends & colleagues on a holiday for 6-8 weeks en route home. I think the cross cultural learning could go a long way to all concerned in broadening our outlook in the catering & hospitality industry. Are there any interested chefs out there who would like to correspond with me?

phattchef@gmail.com  or  chefbrabazon@gmail.com

www.wheretostay.co.za/cranfordinn  or www.wapit.co.za  search for phatt chef restaurant.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I'm sensitive to not bombarding e-gullet with business but I hoped the situation we have might be of interest to some on here.

We are a small, independant food business based in East Sussex/Kent border with two main branches to our business:

We are a wholesale butchery - originally a High St butcher our meat supply 25 years ago all came out of Smithfield. Quality was variable and provenance unknown. As a result we started going direct to local livestock farmers. That was then and now is now, as a result of what I hate to call a 'trend' in people's approach to food other butchers; and then later restaurants etc. came to us and the wholesale business grew: Butchers are easy, they tend to demand for example a side of beef, 6 lambs and 3 pigs in a week. When a caterer asks us for 12 whole filets we are then left with the rest of 6 animals to deal with;

Our other business basically seeks to make use of and adding value to principally, the forequarter of beef which we primarily do by producing meat pies, in the same way that butchers have always made puddings and pies and hasslet and brawn etc etc.

The current way we operate is very much word-to-mouth with local businesses and some work in London. What we really need is someone to put a bit of commercial immperative into it. The role would be part time and could be really flexible - possibly suiting someone with children in school etc.

If anyone is interested please drop me a pm/email at ben@sussexfarms.co.uk

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen

• 5 months later...

From Toby Maloney (Society member Alchemist):

Bartenders wanted:

Calling all cooks, baristas and new bartenders.

The Violet Hour in Chicago is looking for a Bartender.

We are looking for passionate people with exceptional palates who know the value of following a recipe to tend bar in a classic, culinary style. We press our own juices daily, utilize egg whites and make our own bitters. While labor intensive and mentally challenging, the end results are rewarding on multiple levels. Don’t worry if you have never poured a drink. It can actually be an asset.

Training is many, many hours behind the bar. There is no time specification. You train until you are ready.

For a more comprehensive idea of the scope of our program, please follow this link to a recent NY Times article and pay particular attention to the paragraph on minimalism.

In your cover letter, please include a brief insight as to why you want this job. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.

Please send to theviolethour1520@gmail.com

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 months later...

To all you want to be chefs... I am from South Africa, own and run a successful 50 seater upmarket grill house restaurant and a 25 roomed 3* hotel. We offer mid-life training stages in our organisation. You are welcome to contact me for more information, but in a nutshell, the candidate comes and spends up to 4 weeks in various departments of the hotel or specifically the kitchen. In those 4 weeks we endevour to help acertain whether or not the candidate really wants to work in a restaurant/ kitchen or whether they have been enticed by the romantic visions from childhood / TV shows etc. More often than not candidates leave saying "THANK YOU for opening my eyes to what could have been the biggest mistake of my life. I'll stay a happy home cook!!" BUT on the other hand we've woken passions in some people that have had to be addressed. We leave that up to them. Some stay on as trainees in my kitchen, some go home and dream and others go back to school. Mail me in confidence hereEmail me

The fat & happy Chef from Clarens, Eastern Free State, South Africa.

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

Hi everyone,

I am looking to open a neopolitan style pizzeria in california. I've been a chef for about 8 years now but have zero to none experience in making pizza. I'm currently working at a pizzeria to learn the techniques but was wondering if anyone knew of any stages in italy where I can learn more about pizza making. Or any other leads or references that may help me achieve my goal.

• 5 months later...

I have been attempting to embark upon a second career now focused within the food industry. I have tremendous passion, knowledge and technical abilities, great taste buds and commitment to always learn more. I would give my eye-teeth as the saying goes. I am in Rockland County, NY on the border of Northern NJ. Any assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I truly believe, knowing how my first business was so successful because it was built upon a passion, that I can be successful given the opportunity.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, first post although I have been looking around eGullet for some time. I have been working in the food service industry since I was 14 and am just now seriously thinking of this as a career. However, I am currently enrolled in college, and as such am, having trouble finding work here in Atlanta, GA. I was wondering if you guys had any sort of advice for someone like myself trying to break into the fine dining aspect of the industry, who most likely will only be able to work summers.

• 7 months later...

I hope everyone had a great holiday. Tasted Menu (http://www.tastedmenu.com/about), a website and forthcoming mobile app that helps people find the best restaurant dishes, is currently looking to hire a Content Director to join our team here in Boston. A full job description can be found below. I thought this position could be of interest to folks on eGullet. Feel free to pass this along or to reach out to me with any questions. We're also on the lookout for a part-time Community Manager (http://www.tastedmenu.com/careers).

Best,

Alex

If you live in Boston and haven't already, check us out! We'll soon be expanding to additional markets.

As a Content Director at Tasted Menu, you'll find yourself at the center of our menu database operations, and in particular the expansion and maintenance thereof. Based in Boston, you'll work directly with the Founder & CEO and will be responsible for coordinating with contractors, offshore firms, and our users. As our ideal candidate, you are...

* Obsessively meticulous and thorough. If people refer to you as "anal," that's a good thing. Like a copyeditor, you should be able to scan dozens of pages of text or data and, within seconds, spot any errors. Style manuals are like scripture to you. Excel is your playground. Data-centric tasks that others might consider rote, you find invigorating.

* Tenacious and indefatigable in doing whatever it takes to meet aggressive, imperative deadlines.

* Passionate about restaurants and, of course, restaurant menus. An hour spent reading Eater or browsing Art of the Menu is like heaven for you. You're excited about the opportunity to quickly establish thorough and up-to-date knowledge of restaurant scenes in markets throughout the country.

* Immersed in the online food world and social media in general. You spend more time than you're willing to admit consuming and producing restaurant content online. You know what makes online foodies tick because you yourself are one.

We're looking for someone who is energized about being a core part of a team building something that will change the way people discover food and share their dining experiences. If this person is you, please reach out to us at careers@tastedmenu.com or apply with LinkedIn on our Careers page (http://www.tastedmenu.com/careers).

• 3 months later...

Hello, my name is Timothy and I am a casting associate for MysticArt Pictures.

I am contacting you in regards to a new show we are casting for called The Moment with Kurt Warner for USA Network.

The show is focused on people who had a dream job in mind, started pursuing it but something in life forced them to put the dream on hold.

Now, they want that second chance to turn that dream into a reality.

Some of the jobs we are looking to cast are:

Chocolatier, Auctioneer, Costume Designer, Fashion/Sports Photographer, Sportscaster, Brew Master and so on! If you, or someone in your association would be interested, please let us know.

THANKS

Timothy J.

818-563-4131 x 222

Casting Association

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence concerning jobs must take place off eG Forums. Thank you.

POSITION: CHEF FOR SENIOR RESIDENCE

Full time employment w/ health benefits, apartment and on-site parking

Are you ready to be part of a team dedicated to empowering Seniors to Age in Place? SHARE, INC. has a 40 year history of providing affordable housing for 28 independent seniors (2 homes) in the Village of Ridgewood, N.J.

The Chef will work directly with the Program Director, employees, clients, and vendors. We are looking to add to our dedicated team a talented Chef who is passionate about food.

This job would be ideal for a cook looking to take a more hands-on role in day-to-day production and also refine their existing skills; who wants to learn new techniques such as pasta-making and basic pastry; and who wants to foster relationships with suppliers and producers. Culinary school graduates with a strong sense of purpose and a desire to work on and refine their skillset are encouraged to apply.

Responsibilities Include:

Daily preparation and service of lunch for both homes

Daily preparation and service of dinner for both homes

Daily inventory and provision of  resident's kitchen for both homes

Evening set up (for next day) continental breakfast for residents for both homes

Prepare weekly menu for Program Director's approval

Insure that standardized operating procedures including the use of recipes, opening and closing checklists, product requisitioning, etc. are consistently followed

Consistently maintain standards of quality, cost, flavor and eye appeal of foods

Be able to change the menus according to seasonal availability of products and residents' feed-back

Provide input for budget development, forecasting, and financial reporting

Manage cost controls and control expenditures

Develop and maintain vendor relationships

Check in deliveries and ensure proper storage of the deliveries 

Maintain assigned stock and ensure proper rotation of product within assigned area of operation.

Restock  items as needed throughout shift

Maintain established standards for station and equipment cleanliness

Keep a clean, safe, organization work station 

Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs

Prepare and store 2 weekend dinner meals weekly

Responsible for budgeting, shopping and ordering

Maintain a 14 day frozen entrée stock for each home

Required Skills:

Food Cost Optimization

Experience with  inventory coordination, ordering, food costing and portion control 

Ability to plan and execute healthy menus for independently living senior citizens

Ability to utilize effective time management to set priorities and perform job related responsibilities

Food safety knowledge

An inclination to navigate situations with integrity and accountability

Qualifications & Requirements:

Valid driver's license and ability to shop and transport food between SHARE, INC. Properties

Basic education requirement - Technical, Trade, or Vocational School Degree

Possess Food Safety Certification

Basic functional experience -  work experience in food or culinary services including restaurants, hotels, resorts, country club, catering services, institutional services etc.

Prospective employee will be invited to a dinner audition. (Plan, Purchase Prepare and serve dinner for up to 10); the candidate will be reimbursed for cost of this meal.

Send Resume,  Seven Day Meal Plan (Menu) w/ budget plan for food purchase , Cover  Letter  AND 3 Reference To:

SHAREINC.INFO@GMAIL.COM

Edited by Mjx
Added note concerning discussion of job offer. (log)
  • Like 2

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler