• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Report: Shanghai dim sum lunch Dec 8

jayejo

Moderator's Note: This report topic has been split off from the planning topic. -- CA

Thanks for hosting a great event Kent. It was great to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

-j.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

There's nothing so bad in this life that pork fat can't make better.

My Blog

Thanks for hosting a great event Kent. It was great to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

-j.

It was a pleasure meeting you and Frank. I'm already scouring the cookbook, trying to figure out what to serve you when we get together next!

Kent, thanks again for introducing us to another great restaurant.

The really bizarre thing was meeting up with all of the folks that also were from eGullet that happened to be there for another lunch. :biggrin:

Sorry about the delay; the holidays are a busy time here at Atelier Kent Wang.

gallery_36558_3077_102343.jpg

We had nearly all the dim sum staples, but here are some the more unusual ones:

gallery_36558_3077_28277.jpg

Xiao long bao, shark fin dumpling. The xiao long bao were passable, but the meat was dry and many of the dumplings were broken, with the soup lost. The shark fin dumpling was quite good, a rich burst of flavor.

gallery_36558_3077_87664.jpg

Jellyfish, chilled braised beef. The jellyfish had a strange taste to them, a sign that they were not processed properly. The beef was delicious.

gallery_36558_3077_39156.jpg

Jiu cai dumpling. I'm not sure what this is called in English but the jiu cai vegetable has a very bold flavor.

gallery_36558_3077_75783.jpg

Sesame paste pastry, which is a rice flour bun with a rich sesame seed filling and a peanut butter dust outer layer. I love Chinese desserts as they are not as sweet as Western ones.

What a great meal. We raised $30 for the Society. Thank you everyone for your donations.