• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Coal

Allura

As a kid, my mom thought it was funny to stick a lump of real coal in my stocking. As an adult, I want revenge. :biggrin:

I know I've seen licorice "coal" in the past, but I'm thinking of making something chocolate. My first thought is some sort of lump of dark chocolate with nuts or raisins mixed in. I don't have any molds, and, frankly, haven't ever even made chocolate on my own, although I helped my mom a lot when I was younger. So, any ideas on where to start with such an idea?

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

You can make "molding chocolate" by blitzing regular, chopped chocolate in a food processor until it's well... moldable. Just keep processing until it gets there (takes a little while). If molded into clumps, I reckon it would look like coal! Worth a try, even if it doesn't work out- you still have chopped chocolate which you can melt down and use for brownies or something.

Disclaimer: I don't have a food processor at home, but I have done it on a couple of really old industrial strength Robot Coupes at work - don't see why it wouldnt work though.

How about getting this:

shopping.aol.com/santas-chocolate-coal-bag/54716171

Yeah, I saw that in a catalog, but the shipping makes it ridiculous for one small bag.

There's a card store/gift shop in town with a food section that might have it and a chocolate shop that I can also check. Other than those, I'm either going to play with "process chocolate until I can mold it" idea (which sounds really cool) or maybe just buy a small box of good chocolate and re-wrap it with a new label. :biggrin: Not sure I have time for a lot of experimentation when I only need a few pieces of chocolate anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out WHAT that candy in that picture is, though. It just says "double crisp".

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

How about getting this:

shopping.aol.com/santas-chocolate-coal-bag/54716171

Yeah, I saw that in a catalog, but the shipping makes it ridiculous for one small bag.

There's a card store/gift shop in town with a food section that might have it and a chocolate shop that I can also check. Other than those, I'm either going to play with "process chocolate until I can mold it" idea (which sounds really cool) or maybe just buy a small box of good chocolate and re-wrap it with a new label. :biggrin: Not sure I have time for a lot of experimentation when I only need a few pieces of chocolate anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out WHAT that candy in that picture is, though. It just says "double crisp".

The candy in the picture looks like a molded chocolate colored black. The shape seems to be geodesic dome.

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

"Double crisp" is often a Nestle's Crunch-type product--milk chocolate with many rice krispies in it. BTW, Nestle used to (and maybe still does; I'm not a milk chocolate fan) make a product called Buncha Crunch, which was little pebble-like globs of chocolate and rice.