• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Make ahead icing for cookies

tirgoddess

I am hosting our annual cookie baking extravagana this year. It involves children with parental supervision. This event tends to be chaotic and messy. Because of that, I am going to make sugar cookie dough ahead of time, ready to cut, bake, and frost. My frustration comes with the icing. Invariably, after 4-5 cookies the icing gets discolored from spoon mixing. My idea is to make tons of icing ahead of time then put it into squeeze bottles in various colors. Can I do this the night before? Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Edited by tirgoddess (log)

I am hosting our annual cookie baking extravagana this year.  It involves children with parental supervision.  This event tends to be chaotic and messy.  Because of that, I am going to make sugar cookie dough ahead of time, ready to cut, bake, and frost.  My frustration comes with the icing.  Invariably, after 4-5 cookies the icing gets discolored from spoon mixing.  My idea is to make tons of icing ahead of time then put it into squeeze bottles in various colors.  Can I do this the night before?  Any ideas here would be appreciated.

you might want to consider using disposable plastic piping bags rather than squeeze bottles. depending on how fluid the icing is, the squeeze bottles might not be able to handle the load and will blow out. with the bags, you can also control the size of the opening a bit better. you can close the backs of the bags with rubber bands or string. you don't even need to use piping tips if you're concerned about simplicity.

either way (bottles or bags), all of this can be done ahead of time, at least the night before if not longer. if you're using a royal icing type of icing, make sure to use egg white powder instead of raw egg white for safety's sake.

Well, in the any idea category, Wilton has a product that tastes good, at least the one I used tasted good and it was the right consistency and was easy to use.

Click here and the product I liked was the $2.49 icing writer dealie. But there's a bunch of great ideas here. Maybe the parent's would bring some along. The sprays are cool too. And how about the markers!!! Awesome for cookies. Now those I used a brown marker for the basketball lines and I brushed the orange color on.

• 1 month later...

I use squeeze bottles all the time to flood my cookies! I know this is sort of late, since xmas is over, but a great recipe from Toba Garrett is

Tobas Cookie Glaze

1 lb. confectioners' sugar

3/8 cup milk

3/8 cup light corn syrup

flavoring as desired

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.

Divide to flavor and add color.

You can thin it a bit for squeeze bottles, then just outline the cookie not too close to the edge, and use toothpicks to spread the icing around the cookie.

To get a pure white, you need white food coloring.

Add a bit more powdered sugar, and you can outline and do easy detail work.

Unlike royal icing which dries really hard, this dries enough to stack, but offers a soft bite. It tastes great. It does take a bit to dry but its fantastic.

you can see a bunch of cookies decorated soley with Tobas Glaze at

www.kneadacookie.com

Alicia