• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied fruit?

Hugh

Does anyone know where I might find some quality candied fruits in Vancouver for making Christmas cake? (Too lazy to make my own...)

We used to like Galloway's but it moved around and got too expensive. We've been going to Famous Foods on Kingsway for many years. Their prices are decent and they have all the usual suspects for Xmas cakes plus some more exotic options (one year I made a tropical fruitcake with Marsala as a change of pace).

I like Galloways 'cos it's in my neighborhood (Richmond). Famous Foods also has a good selection. Or, you could check the "bulk" area of the neighborhood grocer...and mix your own "fruit mix", thereby avoiding the dreaded candied rutabaga

Karen Dar Woon

I had no idea that there was candied rutabaga in the fruit mix. It's almost bizarre...

This may get me banned from all things "foodie" ...

.... but as long as they're not selling the rutabega stuff at the same price as real fruit, and the product tastes good, does it really matter?

A.

I made mince tarts and used dried cranberries, raisins, cherries, blueberries, and organic lemon and orange peel marinated in Marsala. Choices had the best prices in my neighborhood for what I wanted. Dried blueberries cost a fortune! Next year I'm drying my own.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I had no idea that there was candied rutabaga in the fruit mix. It's almost bizarre...

what fruit did you think those brightly colored lime green and florescent red chunks of stuff came from? the rutebega is like a filler, to keep the overall cost down. I think there is some fruit in there, but i don't know what ratio.

Didn't there used to be a Dan-D-Pak store in Marpole? bet they have lots of interesting dried fruits.