• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xmas dinner

jayhay

I am perhaps hijacking this thread a little - but I just found out that JN&Z is taking orders for smoked hams for pick up on Xmas eve (so it will be warm and juicy) - $45 bone in, and should serve about 20 people. A suckling pig will set you back $165 but will feed 30 to 35 people. The idea of a smoked suckling pig for Xmas eve brings a tear to my eye.

If you want to bring a Hong Kong touch to the proceedings - stick some flashing red LED's into the eyes - a very popular decorative flourish in HK.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

If you want to bring a Hong Kong touch to the proceedings - stick some flashing red LED's into the eyes - a very popular decorative flourish in HK.

:laugh: Is that true? Do any of the restaurants here decorate the dish like that? Mmm... suckling pig...

That reminds me of a friend's wedding banquet at Shiang Garden. There was a "parade" of the 1st course, that was led by one of the servers carrying a giant goblet filled with flashing LED balls. Is that a typical HK flourish also? None of us had ever seen that before!

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I get a real day-after-christmas turkey sandwich, y'know, with stuffing and cranberry sauce, maybe some gravy?

I had a wonderful dinner with a special someone who doesn't eat meat, so it was salmon, plus the usual christmas-type side dishes, but now I'm craving that turkey feeling.

I'm guessing it's boxing day or nothing.

Any suggestions?

The Hilton at Metrotown serves a Christmas brunch buffet and a dinner buffet on Xmas for those who are interested next year. They have a slightly differest set of selection for the two meals but the dinner sounds wonderful with seafood included.

Reservation is highly recommended.

Where can I get a real day-after-christmas turkey sandwich, y'know, with stuffing and cranberry sauce, maybe some gravy?

I had a wonderful dinner with a special someone who doesn't eat meat, so it was salmon, plus the usual christmas-type side dishes, but now I'm craving that turkey feeling.

I'm guessing it's boxing day or nothing.

Any suggestions?

Tomato Cafe (when it used to be on Cambie) used to do the best, just-like-home turkey sandwich (no gravy). They had it on the menu year-round because of its popularity. If your craving still persists today, give them a call at their Kits location.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Canucklehead, what/where is JN&Z? Haven't been here in a while, so could be forgetting an obvious abbreviation...

Thanks!

I had my usual fresh free-range bird from Cioffi's, which, as always, was excellent, although it seemed a little pricier this year ($50 before tax for a 14 pounder). Would like to try something different next year, so am interested in the ham.

Canucklehead, what/where is JN&Z? Haven't been here in a while, so could be forgetting an obvious abbreviation...

Thanks!

I had my usual fresh free-range bird from Cioffi's, which, as always, was excellent, although it seemed a little pricier this year ($50 before tax for a 14 pounder). Would like to try something different next year, so am interested in the ham.

I don't know what J N & Z stands for - but here's there address:

J N & Z Deli

1729 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC V5N 4A4

Telephone : 604-251-4144

They are just north of first avenue on the west side of Commercial street. It is a great smoke house to visit. Go in and have a chat with them on pre-ordering (they are very friendly). I think that's its available year round.

The ham is warm when you pick it up - but it is unglazed (if you go for that sort of thing).