• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Sweet Breads

Daniel

I bought a load of sweetbreads about 8 months ago and froze them raw in batches. Only just finished them off a few weeks ago, the last batch was fine.

I don't see why you couldn't freeze them cooked. The texture may not be as good but it should be okay.

When you say "sweet breads" I think of breads that are sweet such as massa or the popular ones from the Caribbean. Since you are soaking them in milk I assume you mean the savory "sweetbreads".

I buy lamb pancreas and thymus every once in a while at a reduced price (because they need to be cooked or frozen within a day or so) and stick them in the freezer as is for up to a couple of months. I've had no problems, although they are a bit better when fresh. I have never tried the milk soak prior to freezing, sounds like a good idea if you have the time. Seems to me that removing the off-flavors ASAP is a good idea, particularly with the pancreas since it is the site of bitter bile production.

If they are fully cooked and you want to freeze them, I say go for it. They'll probably suffer a little bit texture-wise, just as prawncrackers has said.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Actually, bile is produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder. Pancreas has nothing to do with bile.

Yes, you are absolutely right to point out bile is a product of the liver.

In most mammals (including sheep) the pancreatic duct (from the pancreas) and the bile duct (from the liver) come together at a common orifice that empties into the intestine. My butcher has shown me the yellow-green bile that can accompany an excised pancreas, not something I want to taste.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack