• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marshmallow truffles

Aria

My kids are begging for marshmallow truffles. No, unfortunately, green tea, raspberry and other truffles don't seem to excite them. They want to make the marshmallow from scratch and then dip in tempered chocolate. Would that work? Is there a recipe anyone has? I feel this might have been discussed in 'confections, ...'. Thanks:)

It would absolutely work! I'm making some (a few hundred) on Monday, and dipping them in tempered chocolate. I'll try to remember to post some photos.

Brush off as much of the coating as you can before they are dipped.

The chocolate will serve as a preservative, and the covered marshmallows will last for weeks.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Yep, we've done that as well. We actually stacked to thin layers of marshmallow with peanut butter in the middle, cut into square and dip in chocolate.

My advice would be to work in small batches, making sure that the marshmallow is cold, so it won't melt in the chocolate.

and if you need a recipe and some photo ideas, check out

this lovely 27 page thread on marshmallows

good luck!

you can also pipe the marshmallow before it sets up too much and then dip those shapes too...might be fun...but messy!

edited to add: i thought, by the title of the thread, that you were looking for something like a ganache swirled with marshmallow...then scooped and dipped. that might be something to investigate as it sounds pretty easy and tasty with an interesting textural contrast.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I'm making a riff on the "Hot Chocolate" piece from Grewling's Chocolates and Confections book for Christmas. The Hot Chocolate has two layers - cinnamon marshmallow and creme de cacoa ganache - I'm doing a peppermint marshmallow and dark chocolate peppermint ganache instead.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Yep, we've done that as well. We actually stacked to thin layers of marshmallow with peanut butter in the middle, cut into square and dip in chocolate.

My advice would be to work in small batches, making sure that the marshmallow is cold, so it won't melt in the chocolate.

Chilling the marshmallows will cause the tempered chocolate to cool, and make it harder to dip. It's not necessary to use cold marshmallows. If they are at room temperature and the chocolate is tempered (it will be somewhere around 90 degrees, give or take) the marshmallows shouldn't melt.

When the marshmallows melt, it's because the chocolate is too hot.

Have fun!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I was thinking about a reverse truffle. Like making peanut butter flavored marshmallows and when smoothing them into the pan, quickly shoving a dark chocolate kiss or chunk down in a grid pattern.

Hopefully (!!?) when they are cut later there will be a marshmallow encased chocolate.

I was thinking about a reverse truffle.  Like making peanut butter flavored marshmallows and when smoothing them into the pan, quickly shoving a dark chocolate kiss or chunk down in a grid pattern.

Hopefully (!!?) when they are cut later there will be a marshmallow encased chocolate.

To deviate a bit. How would you coat marshmellows with caramel? Do you just dip them?

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I was thinking about a reverse truffle.  Like making peanut butter flavored marshmallows and when smoothing them into the pan, quickly shoving a dark chocolate kiss or chunk down in a grid pattern.

To deviate a bit. How would you coat marshmellows with caramel? Do you just dip them?

I think Kerry Beal did a demo of this on a thread somewhere...she basically made a layer of caramel and a layer of marshmallow and either rolled them together (like a sticky bun) or she rolled the marshmallow up in the layer of caramel and then cello wrapped the pieces.

It would have to be a piece of pliable caramel, so still little bit soft , when is cool, then strech it or roll it and wrap the marshmallow around it.I had some of these caramel wrapped marshmallows , ohh ymmmm they were soo good !

Vanessa

• 4 weeks later...

I think Kerry Beal did a demo of this on a thread somewhere...she basically made a layer of caramel and a layer of marshmallow and either rolled them together (like a sticky bun) or she rolled the marshmallow up in the layer of caramel and then cello wrapped the pieces.

Is that here? -->Confections! What did we make? - Post #276

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

gallery_44494_2818_18861.jpg

gallery_44494_2818_16653.jpg

These are the one I tried with salted caramel sheets and vanilla marshmallows , to die for.You spread the caramel sheet with rolling pin and if it gets little bit too hard zipp it into the microwave for 2 seconds the keep rolling to a rectangle, cut the extra edges and place the marshmallow rectangle on it and roll , making sure the caramel adheres well to the marshmallow.

Vanessa