• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One-day/Half-day Chinese cooking class (in China)?

Greg Wells

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese cooking class in Beijing, Chengdu or Hong Kong? My wife and I are going to travel to China on vacation and have enjoyed these types of classes in other countries and thought there must be something similiar in China. We are looking for a half-day or full-day class. Thanks for your help.

I myself have run a food and wine matching workshop at The Hutong - and was impressed by the facilities that they had for cooking class. It's been done to Western standards (i.e. higher work benches, clean, safe, etc..) and it seemed a very nice space - in an old hutong neighbourhood -for a cooking class.

I myself have not attended their cooking classes so I cannot vouch for them- but they are supposed to be quite popular. Mark and Stacey are very helpful -so may be able to answer any questions you or your wife may have.

I *have* attended one of their tea workshops and found it quite fascinating. It was well done and explained the basic differences between teas very clearly. The teas were also all well-chosen and delicious!

Have a lovely trip!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>