• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony Bourdains holiday Special

KristiB50

Monday Dec 10

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bourdain/bo...in-holiday.html

The holiday season is a time of year when families come together and try to put aside their differences. The Bourdain family is no exception. Join Anthony Bourdain as he travels to Connecticut to spend the holiday with his brother’s family in the Hudson River Valley. And to top off the festivities, Tony has agreed to cook the holiday meal....

Some curling friends of mine were involved in shooting part of this. Tony went curling at the Nutmeg curling club in Bridgeport, CT. Of course, since this is a Christmas special this was shot around Labor Day weekend. Wonder how much (if any) of the curling scenes will air. And I wonder how much other stuff they shot back then. It was pretty warm then I recall.

I truly enjoyed this program. Usual snarkyness but what I really liked was his cooking segment.

Get Tony to PBS! I bet he would do a kick ass show, funny, great tips, good looking food. If his travel show ever dries up he has something he can fall back on. It was like watching his cook book come to life.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

damnit! I missed this; must see if there will be a repeat showing.

My stupid DVR did not pick it up either!! Probably cause it's not called No Reservations. There seems to be a rerun on Wednesday, so I set it for then.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It was fun but came across as more staged than his usual episodes - like the director kept telling Bourdain to "turn up the Bourdain," - similar to asking Scrooge to put more bah in his humbug. This was Bourdain playing a sit-com version of Bourdain.

Glad he included the segment on fois gras. Though Tony was preaching to the choir, the segment showed the whole production process which I have never seen before. Wiped out a bunch of misconceptions on my part.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I truly enjoyed this program. Usual snarkyness but what I really liked was his cooking segment.

Get Tony to PBS! I bet he would do a kick ass show, funny, great tips, good looking food. If his travel show ever dries up he has something he can fall back on. It was like watching his cook book come to life.

I too was surprised at how good he was during this portion, it would be a great show, cooking instruction plus snark and hilarity. Sounds like a recipe for success to me (pardon the awful pun). Not surprising given that he has been on tv for awhile and is just naturally good on camera.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I didn't think the episode was that great. More and more he does these staged scenarios that to me just aren't that funny. His normal, natural self, and his normal reactions to new situations, are much funnier and more interesting than anything the producers can conjure up. But it seems like in the episodes that deal with less exotic places--the Tuscany one, and this, for example--they feel like they need to invent storylines.

I enjoyed the cooking segment, and would have liked to see more of that.

Edited by kiliki (log)

I didn't think the episode was that great. More and more he does these staged scenarios that to me just aren't that funny. His normal, natural self, and his normal reactions to new situations, are much funnier and more interesting than anything the producers can conjure up. But it seems like in the episodes that deal with less exotic places--the Tuscany one, and this, for example--they feel like they need to invent storylines.

Totally agree with this....

The stuff with his neice and nephew wasn't really funny to me either.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Favorite bits were between the Stone Barns visit and the D'Artagnan one. Least favorite, definitely the 'let's get the kids to act bratty and swear in front of innocent strangers' shtick. Kids swearing is only funny if it's entirely natural or completely fictional. And no, I never thought I would become a snob about children and foul language.

Elie, I've noticed the Travel Channel is slapping their stars' names on all their shows now. Perhaps if you used "Anthony Bourdain" instead of "No Reservations" as your keywords your DVR would pick everything up.

And Tony, nice gravy! But there are no chefs in my family (despite what my brother thinks of himself), my mom's gravy was perfectly delicious, and most people know that poultry gravy just isn't brown. Or don't they?

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

I'm with kiliki on this. Part of it is they now have a whole hour to fill, whereas CT was only a half-hour. It still seems like they struggle for content to fill up that time.

I liked the part with Ariane Daguin, and the segment on foie gras. Loved the opening of the champagne!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Completely agree. I wasn't thrilled with the episode, though I did like the foie gras and the cooking parts. Those seemed more "real" to me.

I'm with kiliki on this. Part of it is they now have a whole hour to fill, whereas CT was only a half-hour. It still seems like they struggle for content to fill up that time.

I liked the part with Ariane Daguin, and the segment on foie gras. Loved the opening of the champagne!

Me too. the bratty niece and nephew were trite from the onset and only grew staler. It does seem they over-script to over-compensate for a perceived lack of edginess when taking the road more traveled.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

How could I forget....Ariane Daguin is a goddess, a force of good in a world that is increasingly becoming evil. I salute her.

A let down.  I fell asleep during the last 20 minutes!  :sad:

Me too! I was so disappointed with the scripted, not-funny stuff with the kids and the tree, walked away, came back and enjoyed the D'Artagnan portion and started to watch the cooking but when he was just sloshing the pan remains of grease and juice in, it started to look odd. That phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" needs to be drummed into the producer/director.

It had its moments, but add me in with the chorus of "the scripted stuff really didn't work and was awkward at best". I've found I really dislike the scripted/storyline shows like Tuscany.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I agree that the scripted parts with the extended family, band, and curling were filler for the hour, but I enjoyed the more educational segments: Ariane Daguin of D'Artagnan and her novel technique of opening the champagne, the procuring of the turkeys at Stone Barn Farms, and the force-feeding of the ducks at Hudson Valley Foie Gras. It was also nice to see Tony doing some cooking with his sister-in-law in her home kitchen.

The constant swearing by the niece and nephew was not funny. Were they and Tony in some sort of competition with Gordon Ramsay for the most use of the "f" word?

Also, I was wondering why Tony did not bring his wife and daughter to his brother's house for the holiday reunion? I understand that he was remarried in April 2007, just after his daughter's birth, and supposedly this episode was filmed in September 2007. Tony, the family man who has quit smoking (but not swearing)--now that would have been interesting to see him in that context rather than the usual stereotype of the churlish chef in competition with his brother!

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet