• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sammy's Roumanian

Fat Guy

We love Sammy's, for the experience as much as (possibly more than) the food. It's a blast! And the chopped liver is great.

My husband has a great story about the first time he went there: he and a buddy, who knew the place, had won a bunch of money at the track. They walked in and announced "We just won $600 and we're here to spend it- give us everything!" They even got the bottle of vodka frozen in a block of ice.

We once thought it would be fun to take some out-of-town guests there, but they were pretty well horrified and only ordered salad, if you can imagine.

As much as we enjoy it, we find that once a year is about as much Sammy's as we need. You definitely have to be in the mood for it.

I went to Sammy's a couple years back for a buddy's bachelor party and while the place is lots of fun and they keep the vodka in ice blocks flowing, the food can only be described as mediocre. It's not all bad, it's just amazing how bad some of it is. Things like stuffed cabbage and meatballs were virtually inedible. However, if you order right, and go in with the attitude of fun first and food quality second, a very enjoyable time can be had by all. Their chopped liver is incredible by any standards and the lamb chops, rib steaks, and romanian tenderloin are all good entrees as long as they aren't way overcooked. That being said, all the entrees are way overpriced.

Order a round of egg creams for dessert. Just don't spray the rest of your table with the seltzer bottles, or you might yet yelled at.

If you are looking for a place with lots of history, nostalgia, and fun, and don't mind paying a few extra bucks, head to Sammy's. if you are looking for the best meal of your life, look elsewhere.

-Al

• 2 weeks later...

These were some harsh reviews, but having eaten there twice in November I can vouch for this place. It's an absolute blast, and if you're strictly eating meats, the food is great. In terms of chopped liver, I'd say it's top five in the country for restaurants and delis. Also, the rib steaks and skirt steaks are great. Go, get wasted, dance, and fress. And don't be stingy with the Schmaltz.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com