• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese green tea

I'm not well versed in tea. But I'm looking for sencha-uchiyama and gyokuro.

I've checked Fujiya and the best they have is sencha of varying locations.

If there is a thread about Japanese green tea please direct me.

I'm hoping to get the tea for someone who will be going for chemo and radiation treatment for cancer. These two types of teas had one of the highest EGCG.

Also, what are black raspberries and where can I find them?

Thanks for your help.

Not a specific answer on the varieties you are interested in, but Murchies in British Columbia has a reasonable green tea selection. I have seen sencha at upscale/wholefood grocieries like PCC in the Pacific Northwest.

If you are after bags, I'm particularly fond of the sencha/matcha blend available from Costco in their typical substantial boxes.

For that matter you might consider matcha since you drink the powdered leaves which probably gives more concentrated chemical delivery. You can also cook with matcha. The best price on cooking matcha I have found was from Bobateadirect.com (do a search because it isn't their main product and can be hard to find). I get the pure matcha that isn't cut with sugar. There are also some EG members that sell matcha and possibly other tea that may chime in or pm you.

Hope your friend does well; chemo is so unfair - when you go to the doctors they aren't supposed to make you feel sick. :sad:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've ordered sencha from Japanese Green Teas Online before, and found their products to be very good. They have gyokuro, too.

They're based in Japan, as are O-Cha, who also offer a lot of Japanese green teas, including sencha and gyokuro. One of these days I'm going to try some of their products. Their forum is also very helpful.

In your situation, I would write to both companies describing what you're looking for, and asking for their recommendation for a good product for a first-time drinker (and your reasons for wanting these products - i.e. as a healthful drink for a friend with cancer).

If freshness is a concern, I'd be a little wary of buying off the shelf in North America - especially if the product is undated. This is particularly a concern with matcha, which expires very quickly and is undrinkable when stale.

Edited by chamekke (log)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Muzi sounds promising (thanks Rhea S.) But I will certainly check out the other sources as I will be promoting this to my family and friends.

I have been reading a lot of literature at the BC Cancer Research Centre and concluded that there is a positive link between the polypehnols in green tea and reduction of cancer.

My family and friends drink a fair amount of Chinese tea but Japanese Green tea seem to be more favorable as far as health benefits go.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Shaktea was great last time I was there. Tried there Gyokuro and picked up a bag of their Kukicha. Very helpful and informative, need to pop by for a tea refill.

The Tea Store is Park Royal was also good, bought my teapot from there and the owner popped in 2 samples of tea. I live in Burnaby so it's a bit out of the way for me.

I bought some Gyokuro from Muzi (formerly Infuze I think) pricey, but that's what you get for Gyokuro.

I've only bought Roobios from the tea shop down in Granville Island and I've tried their Jasmine, but none of their Japanese teas. I'll have to try some on my next visit.

I'd suggest trying a cup while you're there to find which kind you like. If it's health related the more delicate teas that require longer steeping times will probably be better since you can steep them longer and get more flavour and other good stuff out of them. Gyokuro can be a bit pricey if it's consumed in large quantities everyday, a nice Sencha might be a good alternative. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on Japanese green tea.

I'm finding that the caffeine is not affecting me well. I understand rooibus has just as much antioxidants but no caffeine.

Can someone suggest a place to get a good quality rooibus (preferably organic.)

I don't know much about this tea except that it originates from Africa. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about this tea except that it originates from Africa.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can find everything you need to know about rooibos by doing a Google search. However, I will say that studies indicate that you should brew (steep) the tea for 10 minutes or more to maximize the antioxidants. With rooibos, long steep times don't produce extra bitterness.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'm not well versed in tea.  But I'm looking for sencha-uchiyama and gyokuro.

I've checked Fujiya and the best they have is sencha of varying locations.

If there is a thread about Japanese green tea please direct me.

I'm hoping to get the tea for someone who will be going for chemo and radiation treatment for cancer.  These two types of teas had one of the highest EGCG.

Also, what are black raspberries and where can I find them?

Thanks for your help.

Any good tea shop should carry rooibus. It's a very healthy daily drink and you can leave the leaves in and drink it cold without it becoming bitter. I also drink a rooibus chai which is very nice, which they sell at Shaktea. Sometimes you see it in England marketed as "children's tea." It's the red bush tea that Mma Precious Ramotswe drinks in the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency novels by Alexander McCall Smith.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West