• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Root Vegetable Chips

Pam R

We're having a family get-together on Sunday and I'd like to make a big batch of fresh root vegetable chips (potato, sweet potato, beet, carrot, maybe something else). I've made them before, but always sliced, soaked in ice water briefly, then dried and fried.

Does anybody know if they can be sliced the day before and kept in water in the fridge overnight?

Potatoes definitely, and the others seem to be similar, so they should be fine. Beets might bleed.

I knew a fry expert with a chip truck who would peel Russets one day before use. They were sliced and put in plastic buckets, with several changes of water over 24 hours.

The fries were great.

Well, I've done the non-overnight-method many times. Hathor - I forgot parsnips, but love them chipped and I'll plan to use 'em. And the last few times I've done them, I used a good vegetable peeler - but the combination of a new mandolin and a party to celebrate oil just screamed out for chips.

I won't soak the beets. Just peel, slice and maybe keep in a plastic bag wrapped in paper towel overnight. The trick is to fry the beets last so everything doesn't come out of the pot pink . .

• 2 weeks later...

These were a huge hit. They kept munching on them after dinner. I sliced everything and each vegetable went into a plastic bag with cold water (beets were just wrapped in paper towel). Drained well on towels the next day.

gallery_25849_641_75481.jpg

Did you use any dips?

I like the Terra chips with hummus, and I also like that white bean dip from Trader Joe's.

That is a gorgeous pile of chips.

Congratulations.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Oooh. Dips.

Next time I will! We served these with fried chicken, hamburgers with all the condiments, potato latkes and applesauce, salad and a tray of vegetables. So there was a lot on the plate. But I think a big bowl of these with some dips would be a great thing to have on the coffee table for a holiday party.

It's funny how people who aren't crazy about parsnips or beets find they suddenly love them when they're fried and crispy.

• 11 months later...

Questions, questions, questions.

How thick are the slices?

What temp for the oil? 350F? 375F?

Seasoning ideas?

Oh, and: what about taro?

ETA the taro question.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thin as you can get them - I use the mandolin. Oil at about 350 -- stir the vegetables as soon as you add them to keep them separate and they should only take 1-3 minutes (depending on the vegetable).

I'm very boring and like salt, but how about some smoked paprika? Or doing a 'sweet' version of sweet potatoes and adding a little cinnamon and sugar to the salt?

Haven't cooked taro, but I've bought them. Should work fine.