• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp/Prawn Paste Chicken

RunBe4UFly

I can't seem to find the recipe online for this dish. I heard it was popular in Singapore and HongKong, but never tried it before. Anyone has recipe?

I am guessing the shrimp paste is the one in the jar that I can find in all the chinese stores instead of shrimp meat being grinded to form a paste.

I just put together a shrimp paste for shrimp toast.

The recipe I used is simple and may be varied according to your taste.

I used a half pound of small (about 40 to a pound) of fresh shrimp, two cans

of canned shrimp, an 8 oz can of water chestnuts, one medium onion, three cloves

garlic, a couple of tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, two tablespoons of fresh ginger, sesame oil and cornstarch.

Simply let it rock & roll in the food processor until it comes together.

You want a result which is wet but not runny and therefore add cornstarch as you

need it. The quantity depends on the wetness of the ingredients.

It is so easy because it is all done in the food processor.

I then deep fried the sandwiches which turned into fabulous shrimp toast.

The mixture will stay fine in the refrigerator for a few days at least.

A Malaysian friend taught me this simple recipe, maybe this is the one you are looking for? You will have to decide for yourself what brand of shrimp paste to use. Most shrimp paste are definetly better than others. I prefer "Zamboanga" brand Sauteed shrimp paste.

1 whole chicken cut into serving peices.

1 medium onion chopped.

4 cloves of garlic finely minced.

3 tbsp. finely chopped ginger

4 tbsp. shrimp paste

1 tsp. pepper

Sautee garlic first(do not allow to burn), followed by the onion and ginger and sweat until slightly browned.

Add shrimp paste and heat through. Set aside to cool.

In a heat proof bowl, toss chicken piece with the cooled shrimp paste mix and pepper until all the chicken pieces are coated.

place the bowl in a steamer and steam until tender, 45-60 minutes depending on the type of chicken used. Serverd with plain white rice.

*** Bicol Region, Filipino recipe:

Cooked on the stove. Add 2 cups coconut milk, 1 tbsp. rice or cane vinegar and whole bird chilli peppers, it is then simmered, uncovered until chicken is tender. Ofcourse, served with rice. And water for those who likes to chew on the bird peppers for extra heat.

A Malaysian friend taught me this simple recipe, maybe this is the one you are looking for? You will have to decide for yourself what brand of shrimp paste to use. Most shrimp paste are definetly better than others. I prefer "Zamboanga" brand Sauteed shrimp paste.

1 whole chicken cut into serving peices.

1 medium onion chopped.

4 cloves of garlic finely minced.

3 tbsp. finely chopped ginger

4 tbsp. shrimp paste

1 tsp. pepper

Sautee garlic first(do not allow to burn), followed by the onion and ginger and sweat until slightly browned.

Add shrimp paste and heat through. Set aside to cool.

In a heat proof bowl, toss chicken piece with the cooled shrimp paste mix and pepper until all the chicken pieces are coated.

place the bowl in a steamer and steam until tender, 45-60 minutes depending on the type of chicken used. Serverd with plain white rice.

*** Bicol Region, Filipino recipe:

Cooked on the stove. Add 2 cups coconut milk, 1 tbsp. rice or cane vinegar and whole bird chilli peppers, it is then simmered, uncovered until chicken is tender. Ofcourse, served with rice. And water for those who likes to chew on the bird peppers for extra heat.

This recipe sounds more like what I am after. I will make the following changes to the recipe for my fried chicken though:

1. puree onion, ginger and garlic in the food processor

2. cook the puree with shrimp paste

3. coat the chicken with above paste

4. cool the chicken in the frig over night

5. bread the chicken

6. pan fry chicken till golden brown (with cast iron skillet @ 360F, 10 minutes per side)

Will post how it goes...

Edited by RunBe4UFly (log)