• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

prune and ivo & lulu

mikerock

hey y'all. i'm looking for a byob similar in theory to these (prune and ivo & lulu) great establishments. location isn't super important, but manhattan or brooklyn would be best. thanks a bunch for the interest/help

mike

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

hey y'all. i'm looking for a byob similar in theory to these (prune and ivo & lulu) great establishments. location isn't super important, but manhattan or brooklyn would be best. thanks a bunch for the interest/help

mike

I'm confused. Prune is not BYO. in fact, it has a wine list: http://www.prunerestaurant.com/

Ivo & LuLu is BYO...but it isn't very good. (your first visit it seems remarkable for what it is. on your second visit (and everyone after that) you realize that everything tastes the same....it is charming and cheap though (the real reason people like it).

the most popular BYO in Manhattan is Tartine. the food is nothing special (though competent) but it has a fun dinner party atmosphere.

otherwise, most BYO's in Manhattan (and I assume Brooklyn) are temporary...waiting for their license.

mike

I'm confused. Prune is not BYO. in fact, it has a wine list: http://www.prunerestaurant.com/

Ivo & LuLu is BYO...but it isn't very good. (your first visit it seems remarkable for what it is. on your second visit (and everyone after that) you realize that everything tastes the same....it is charming and cheap though (the real reason people like it).

the most popular BYO in Manhattan is Tartine. the food is nothing special (though competent) but it has a fun dinner party atmosphere.

otherwise, most BYO's in Manhattan (and I assume Brooklyn) are temporary...waiting for their license.

Quality Meats doesn't charge corkage, though I suspect thats not what you're looking for. Most Koreatown places will let you BYO, but you'd have to check on specific ones. Lots of great places in Queens and Brooklyn are byo- Cafe Kashkar, for example.

Edited by Jesikka (log)

if you're looking for a no corkage restaurant....well, the famous Monday night one at Montrachet is no more (the restaurant closed). AOC Bedford charges no corkage on Sunday and Monday nights.

I think Aureole has no corkage if you bring American wines...but I'd call to make sure.

certainly, lots of places in Chinatown don't charge corkage.

if you're looking for a no corkage restaurant....well, the famous Monday night one at Montrachet is no more (the restaurant closed).  AOC Bedford charges no corkage on Sunday and Monday nights.

I think Aureole has no corkage if you bring American wines...but I'd call to make sure.

A french restaurant lets you bring American wines in??? I think the deal with Quality Meats is that it can't be a bottle from their list.

Ali's Kabab Cafe in Astoria. I know it's not in Manhattan or Brooklyn, but it's easy enough to get to from either of those boroughs, and it's *wonderful.* Ali has wine, but he'll let you BYO (and it's recommended to do so, since his wine is not of the best).

[EDIT: Ali's is also a tiny, charming boîte along the lines of Ivo and Lulu or Prune, so if you like that sort of thing...]

Another option might be the Mitchell London Steakhouse at Fairway; I think they *do* have a wine list now, but the wine enthusiasts still seem to tote along their bottles (as well as cases full of beautiful glassware!) without a problem.

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

if you're looking for a no corkage restaurant....well, the famous Monday night one at Montrachet is no more (the restaurant closed).  AOC Bedford charges no corkage on Sunday and Monday nights.

A french restaurant lets you bring American wines in??? I think the deal with Quality Meats is that it can't be a bottle from their list.

1. Palmer always markets his food as "New American"...include at Aureole.

2. yeah, I think the simple rule of courtesy with corkage or no corkage is that the wine better not be on the restaurant list (and it better not be Yellowtail either). and giving the sommelier a taste of course.

A couple of people have recommended a new restaurant on Essex, near Delancey, called Le Lupanar. They are cash only and BYOB at this point in time.

I have not had a chance to check it out yet, so the good things I heard about the food is purely hearsay. Might be worth checking out though.