• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ Pork Sandwich

stagis

The sloppy-joe thread got me thinking/salivating about BBQ pork sandwiches. I have a gigantic backyard smoker, but have made acceptable BBQ pork in my crockpot in the past...... The only parts of the recipe I remember were "Salt/pepper the pork shoulder and stick it in the crockpot overnight on low - dry." "Shred the pork and put it back into the crockpot with the sauce and cook on low for 2-3 hours." "Pile it onto a cheap hamburger roll and serve with cole slaw and BBQ sauce of your choice on the side."

So, gulleteers: What have you? My favorite type of sauce for this is pretty spicy and thin..... (Read: almost unpalatably hot for the uninitiated).

By the way - just for another gourmet-shuddering treat, scoop the finished pork into plastic baggies in one-sandwich helpings and freeze. Place the brick on a roll and nuke it for 1 minute. Instant lunch!

10:00am - A half pork butt ready for smoking! For control purposes I'm doing this one nekkid'... The roast! Not me...

hunkopig.jpg

5:30pm - This pig be done!

pigdone.jpg

6:00pm - Smoked butt ready to be pulled

pigready.jpg

6:20pm - The finished product! Hotsauce & BBQ sauce served on the side. Was served with baked beans and a pile of Corkey's Slaw...

pigpulled.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Yow.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

These are some mouth watering pics.

I do my butt... uhm I mean my pork butt in the slow cooker as well (so it is not technically barbequed). Last time I did that was a couple weeks ago. First I dry rub the pork with a mixture of brown sugar, kosher salt, thyme, onion powder, chilli powder and cayene. Then wrap it tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.

next morning befor going to work pour half a bottle of your favorite beer (shiner bock for this one) in the slow cooker and put in the butt. Cook on low for 8 hrs or until you come back from work. pull the pork (I always love when the bone just falls out) put it back in the sauce and let it cook for another hour.

Serve on your choice of bread (Keiser rolls hold up great) with cole slaw.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Mark, that's a beautiful thing.

Do you use wood chips to smoke? About how many coals to you use in your weber to keep the temperature down? A big handful? I seem to always get pretty high heat. For that reason, I've been scared to try a long, slow cook.

Mark, that's a beautiful thing.

Do you use wood chips to smoke?  About how many coals to you use in your weber to keep the temperature down?  A big handful?  I seem to always get pretty high heat.  For that reason, I've been scared to try a long, slow cook.

Actually I use a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker, the Cadillac of H2O smokers. It has intake vents at the bottom that you use to regulate the heat.

For fuel I use hardwood lump charcoal that burns clean and hot, 5 lbs of lump charcoal will leave about an ounce of ash as opposed to 2+ Lbs from briquettes. A full load of lump and wood will cook low and steady at 225 to 240 degrees for up to 12 hours with minimal intervention. For smoke I use oak or hickory sticks.

funwithfire.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak