• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

do lug lids seal like canning lids?

zoe b

I just found 3 dozen of jars like this at the thrift store--8 oz size.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin6a.html

They are brand new--I used 8 last night for some cranberry chipotle sauce I'm making for gifts--I sealed with paraffin, but I was wondering if these lids will seal if processed--they have the same kind of white coating on the interior as ball lids.

anyone know?

Zoe

They will seal just like a mason jar lid, but only once. If the lids are brand new and the sealing material is still pliable, they should work fine, and if you are planning to give them away and not use them again, it's really a nice option, I think. They look very pretty!

-L

They will seal but you might have problems with sending anything in them via air. The seal will break if they are exposed to high altitude - and the breaking point is somewhere around 10,000 ft!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Now I'm picturing someone sitting in an airplane with a jar of jam, waiting for that telltale *pop*!

ooh, I don't think I want to picture that, lperry....flying during the holidays is stressful enough!

So, thanks for clearing this up for me--when I do the after holiday jars , just for us, I'll process them and try my luck without pressure--but for the gifty ones I'm going with paraffin--although i did read on one of the extension home ec sites that paraffin isn't recommended any longer--they said that visible mold (which I always flicked off before any of the family saw it)--isn't the only danger in jellies and jams--I don't know--right now I'm not changing my mind about using it, but i'm sure it will be bugging me for a few monthas and I'll do some more research and possibly change.