• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine glasses

Paul Reynard

Not quite sure where to put this topic so apologies if it is in the wrong place. Being more of a foodie than a wino I never really take much notice of what I drink from in a restaurant as long as it looks nice and holds enough wine. However I'm preparing the dreaded wedding list in a few days for my wedding early next year and am trying to decide which glasses to put on. We're using John Lewis and the main choices I'm deciding between are Riedel Vinum, Dartington Crystal Wine Masters and the John Lewis Corto Glassware range. Any advice will be welcomed!

You might find this website quite useful in that hit has many brands and each brand has different glasses for what you drink - red, white, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Zinfandel etc.

Wineware

Depending on how much you want to put on and how you envisage using the glasses, I would opt for champagne, a universal red/white glass - something big that allows air into the wine, and a pudding glass as that is what you would use the most.

Unless you have an army of staff to wash up for you, having a lots of differnt styles for red or white can be hard work and you would need a massive dining table and when you start to break them, it could get quite expensive to replace them.

They make a great present though.

No contest. Riedel Vinum every time. Why don't you choose glasses that match the grape varieties you like? My red burgundy glasses get used a lot although the bordeaux/claret glass is a better all-rounder. For whites, the sauvignon glass is a decent choice.

Another recommendation for Riedel. The Dartington crystal glasses are lovely but of the 8 we had we only have 2 left as they were really fragile - although dinner at the O'Malley house is usually far from civilised :blink:

We only have new world red Riedels, not a whole set, but they are lovely and have lasted the distance. The wine seems to really benefit from them and we have had some exceptional reds which I believe have been even better because of the glasses

I was completely converted to Riedel glassware last year. It does become an expensive habit though. Agree with the recommendation about the riesling/chianti glass as a good starting point. I've also bought the burgundy glasses, which are fab for light reds and pinot noirs and the shiraz glasses. The range is enormous and I can't believe that anyone needs a specific glass for every wine variety. But a carefully selected few from the range are very versatile I've found.

Again, I reccommend the Riedels. I started with a gift set containing four each of the Chianti Classico and Bordeaux glasses, and a simple decanter. This covered most wines pretty well, though if you are a Burgundy fan, you really will benefit from the Burgundy glass. Contrary to all the advice, we put ours in the dishwasher (on a low temperature setting) without ill effects.

Again, I reccommend the Riedels. I started with a gift set containing four each of the Chianti Classico and Bordeaux glasses, and a simple decanter. This covered most wines pretty well, though if you are a Burgundy fan, you really will benefit from the Burgundy glass. Contrary to all the advice, we put ours in the dishwasher (on a low temperature setting) without ill effects.

I do agree on the Riedel Vinum. I have The chianti as all rounder and general testing. I have the chardonay for whites, the Vintage champagne for sparkling, the shiraz for great reds and the Hennesy for spirits (they did cost me a bit obver time but have always bought them on sales at selfridges and harrods at 25% off).

I also have fiew Spiegelau and Schott zwiesel, good but not the same

I had Dartington on my wedding list, and they didn't survive at all. In the restaurant now we have all Riedel, in about 6 different shapes, and everyone loves them. We also have the Riedel 0 series in our flat- they are the strange looking ones with no stem- great for us as we are always kicking glasses over or falling asleep and dropping them :biggrin: !The 0 series appear to be impervious to attempts to smash them!

We also put our glasses through the machine without any ill effects!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Thank you one and all for all your helpful advice. Ended up getting bordeaux/merlot, shiraz, cuvee and Sauvignon blanc glasses. Interesting note to add though is that when we went to log out our scanner we were informed that the Sauvignon glasses look to be being discontinued in the new year although this may well be a John Lewis admin error. Thank you all once again.

• 13 years later...

Mentioning wine glasses elsewhere...I definitely believe Zaltos are awesome, and there's no reason (other than expense) not to use good stuff on a daily basis. However, I was turned on to different wine glasses by a friend in California wine country, and they are quite good at a reasonable price; mostly, I leave the Zalto and their concomitant expense/need for care to the restaurants we go to which use them.

These are called The One (though there are two), and they're very nice...

image.png.c68a65af3ae4b1b97ea9dd080d514f28.png

https://andreawine.com/theonewineglass/

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Those are indeed quite beautiful and surprisingly decently priced.    If I had room, I'd pick up some.   My annoyance with wine glasses is that there seems to be a style shift every few years that makes your last "forever" purchase passé.    These are, however, both sensibly described and classically beautiful.   Thanks.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Mentioning wine glasses elsewhere...I definitely believe Zaltos are awesome, and there's no reason (other than expense) not to use good stuff on a daily basis. However, I was turned on to different wine glasses by a friend in California wine country, and they are quite good at a reasonable price; mostly, I leave the Zalto and their concomitant expense/need for care to the restaurants we go to which use them.

They are my regular wine glasses, too. I purchased them in 2010, which I think is around the time they were introduced.  Nice thin rim, graceful stem, good balance.  Reasonable price so it's not a tragedy if someone breaks one. 

• Like 1

Actually Riedel  makes a restaurant grade Bordeaux ..  Very Nice

Spiegelau-- Makes a decent glass

Grassel Glass  seems to be up and coming

Zalto's are nice

You can go to Bed bath and beyond,  get multi pack glass.  Also u can test the rims.  Im kinda a rim man and stem dude.

Good luck
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are my regular wine glasses, too. I purchased them in 2010, which I think is around the time they were introduced.  Nice thin rim, graceful stem, good balance.  Reasonable price so it's not a tragedy if someone breaks one. 

Usually, "someone" = "me".    I need to say that I have been amazed at our samsung dishwasher's ability to handle tall stemmed glasses with nary a tinkle or clink. 

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 5:22 PM, weinoo said:

I use a similar one too. Pretty classy and useful. I don't like too big ones and small champagne like ones.