• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Four more

Florida Jim

With mushroom and olive pizza and a Cesar salad:

2004 Domino de Tares, Bierzo Baltos:

Very oaky nose with lots of candied, upfront fruit; fruit driven but simple palate with a lot of oak flavor and an extremely oaky and drying finish. Became even more oaky as it opened. God awful, IMO, but I suppose this has a market. 13% alcohol, imported by Classical Wines and about $10 on sale; way over-priced for me.

Bad wine with or with out food. I gave the bottle away and went and got . . .

2003 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:

Flowers and lavender on the nose with some fruit and earthy funk; “like drinking a field of flowers, dirt and all” said a neighbor and I see no reason to try to improve on that; long, structured finish. Great wine now that obviously has a shelf-life. 11-14% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $30; if it didn’t cost so much, I buy several cases.

Just terrific with the pizza as the cheese helps round out the structure of the wine and defeat some of the tannins but the grip of the wine and its intensity stand-up to the strong flavors in the dish. Excellent pairing.

With a dish of sausage, peppers, kale, onions, olives and pasta:

2002 Overnoy/Houillon, Poulsard Arbois Pupillin:

One whiff and you know this is unique; pomegranate, old ladies closet, dust, and light sulpher notes; light-weight yet smooth in the mouth with considerable complexity, no sulpher flavors, a savory tang and lovely balance; medium length finish. Idiosyncratic and not for everyone but Diane and I are smiling a lot as we sip this. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $21 on release; I didn’t buy enough.

Good with the dish as neither dominates but each is complimented.

After dinner:

2005Dom. Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie:

Sweet fruit, deep fruit, perfect balance and a long finish; yummy.

12.5% alcohol, imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $20; I bought plenty.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com