• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastronorm Pans and Induction?

joesan

It first depends on the particular type of "stainless steel" used on that particular pan.

Test it - If an ordinary magnet (fridge magnet anyone?) will stick to the base, then an induction hob will work with and heat that material.

If it won't stick, then forget it - induction won't work with it.

It'll then help if the pan base is pretty flat - on my domestic hob, anything over perhaps 1/10" clearance had the hob signalling "no pan". (I used this occasionally - lifting the pan slightly to kill the heat)

And, umm, a thicker base to the pan would be bound to help to spread the heat... aren't those things kinda thin?

Hope that helps... :smile:

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thanks for your input guys.

It wouldn't be something that I would plan on doing regularly but it could be useful now and again to make a pan sauce etc.

Will look out for some cheap gastronorm pans and try the magnet test.