• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Croissants in New York

shivohum

Can one find a croissant in New York to measure up to the great ones in Paris? Or even come close? So far I've tried Balthazar, Ceci-Cela, Patisserie Claude, and Payard, and come away anywhere from seriously disappointed to being merely mildly pleased (the bakeries above are listed in that order).

Any ideas on some truly great croissants?

There used to be a tiny little whole in the wall specializing in croissants at the corner of 23rd and 5th (on 23rd,) whose name escapes me, that made them fresh daily. More than one type. I am by no means a croissant connoisseur, I don't even like them-but I remember them being extremely fresh and flaky.

I don't live there anymore :sad: so I don't know if it's still there.

Edited by ambra (log)

There used to be a tiny little whole in the wall specializing in croissants at the corner of 23rd and 5th (on 23rd,) whose name escapes me, that made them fresh daily. More than one type. I am by no means a croissant connoisseur, I don't even like them-but I remember them being extremely fresh and flaky.

I don't live there anymore  :sad: so I don't know if it's still there.

It is still there and their brought-in croissants are still baked daily, right out of the freezer. Try City Bakery on 18th and Fifth, their regular croissants are good and the pretzel croissants are great.

However, the quality of pastry in NYC is, sadly, disgraceful.

Madeleine Patisserie, on 23rd between 6th and 7th is doing some decent ones, though not of top-flight Parisian quality. I've heard that the ones Jacques Torres does are of top-flight quality if you get them first thing in the morning, though.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Am I a heathen to suggest Les Halles' breakfast? I've eaten there on business meetings several times and I have to say the croissant is buttery, flakey and quite delicious. It's one of the best I've encountered in NYC in a long time.

Payard's are OK, though even he admits they're not as good as Parisian ones.

Just my $0.25 (inflation).

Cheers! :cool:

I haven't had one in awhile because the location isn't convenient, but when I was out trying to find the best croissant in town the best one I found was at Petrossian Cafe. Not the restaurant, but the little shop mid-block on the avenue. This dates back to when Philippe Conticini and Chris Broberg were running the Petrossian pastry program. I'm not sure if they've maintained standards or not.

My go-to place for a well-made croissant in the neighborhood is Le Pain Quotidien. By now there's probably one in everybody's neighborhood in Manhattan.

And I actually like Ceci-Cela's croissants a lot. Certainly, if you took a poll of chefs you'd hear that as the consensus number-one pick. I hear they're about to close the original store and do a big expansion. Hope that doesn't hurt.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I haven't had one in awhile because the location isn't convenient, but when I was out trying to find the best croissant in town the best one I found was at Petrossian Cafe. Not the restaurant, but the little shop mid-block on the avenue. This dates back to when Philippe Conticini and Chris Broberg were running the Petrossian pastry program. I'm not sure if they've maintained standards or not.

My go-to place for a well-made croissant in the neighborhood is Le Pain Quotidien. By now there's probably one in everybody's neighborhood in Manhattan.

And I actually like Ceci-Cela's croissants a lot. Certainly, if you took a poll of chefs you'd hear that as the consensus number-one pick. I hear they're about to close the original store and do a big expansion. Hope that doesn't hurt.

Petrossian was very good, don't think it is as good as it was.

Bouchon Bakery's croissants, when they first opened, reminded me of what I very vaguely and dimly remember of Parisian croissants, in being so absurdly, gossamer flaky that almost half of it dissolved into the air before you could eat it. The dumb American in me prefers something just a little sturdier that doesn’t waft away like milkweed spores. I also think Dryden’s comment about Jacques Torres holds true all over: quality for a proper croissant will vary according to how long they’ve been out of the oven. That said, recent visits to Amy’s Breads on Ninth Avenue have secured me croissants probably sturdier than connoisseurs would prefer, but incredibly flaky and buttery and delicious (especially when gently reheated in the oven). Doesn’t hurt to grab a slice of one or two of their cakes either… just cuz you’re there.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)