• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassis

TarteTatin

We are headed to Cassis the middle of January.

Everyone says to stay and eat- at the Jardin D'Emilie.

Everywhere we search on Google- also says Jardin D'Emilie.

They are, of course, like most everything else, closed during that time.

Other suggestions for eating and lodging?

We are used to apartments/gites- and investigated numerous places.

They are either huge- and need to be rented Sat to Sat, no leniency, even for January.

Or, they don't return our emails.

Hopefully, it will not be the same for eating out?

We are traveling with a Chef friend from Philly, and the three of us will be treated well in Marseille.

However, we're looking for 4-5 days in Cassis, on the water...

Any suggestions? Markets? Lodging? Restaurants? Good food shops?

Philly Francophiles

• 4 weeks later...

An update on my earlier post (hoping to get some suggestions):

We'll be in Aix for 2 nights, Jan 17 & 18. I've read all the threads on restaurants, but would welcome any updated info! Have been there twice, but not in years.

Found an apartment right on the water in Cassis. Jan 19-23.

So, also looking for recommendations in Marseille.

Also as far east as we can drive in a day for dinner...any villages/restaurants we should go to?

Again, we've read the compendiums on Aix, Marseille, Nice, etc.-but would really welcome up to date info on the "Central Coast" of the Cote D'azur.

Thank you!

Any special markets, wineries to visit, specialty food shops?

Philly Francophiles

• 7 months later...

We will be spending the first two days of our month in France in Cassis. I am hoping for some restaurant recommendations near the port. Is there anywhere that serves a good Bouillabaisse? I would prefer not to drive anywhere, since I want time to recover from the long trip from San Francisco, but good food is motivating. I, like Tarte Tatin have searched the board but mentions of Cassis are very sparse.

Tarte Tatin, would you please post on your experiences while in Cassis past January?

Thanks to all that reply.

• 1 year later...

I'm so sorry I took over a year to find this to reply to you...I hope you found good places.

We did, and I neglected to post.

But, we're going back next month, and I'll endeavor to really post this time.

Did you find anything good food wise when you were there?

Anyone else have comments?

Merci!

Philly Francophiles