• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apizza Scholls or Ken's Artisan Pizza

I won't even ask who is better as a careful read of the various write-ups around the web seem pretty split as to who is better. But it sounds like Apizza Scholls makes more of an ultra thin cracker like crust which I am less keen on. So, from the pix I have seen of Ken's it looks like he has a more Napolitana (or Chris Bianco style). Yes?

Also, who has the better sides: antipasto, salads etc?

You know, we have a pizza shop here in DC that is "DOC" for Neapolitan pizzas. Their crust is definitely thinner than Scholl's.

Matter of fact -- and I say this knowing that any pronouncement on pizza can cause a fight -- I'd suggest that Scholl's neither aims for nor achieves a Neapolitan pizza. It's much closer, in my experience, to classic thin crust New World/New York/New Haven pies (and thank God for that; I really dislike those austere "authentic" pizzas). While there's a mention of Naples on their website, the only establishment that really gets a name check is Lombardi's, in lower Manhattan. Also, the only other establishments I've ever run into that use "apizza" rather than "pizza" are Frank Pepe's, Sally's and Moderne in New Haven.

So, by process of elimination, I nominate Ken's as the Napolitina style (though the thick crust thing seems very un-Neapolitan).

PS: Google "apizza." Every one of the first few dozen hits is either Scholl's or a New England establishment.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Salads are a "toss" up, but I've got to give the edge to Apizza. I've yet to try antipasta at either but Ken's has Bruschetta to die for. Bruschetta has a layer of an apple butter like spread topped with Pancetta. Melts in your mouth and seasonal so may be gone by now.

I find myself heading back to Ken's because of atmosphere, theres something about it that just seems more comfortable especially in warm weather with the front windows open.

I won't even ask who is better as a careful read of the various write-ups around the web seem pretty split as to who is better. But it sounds like Apizza Scholls makes more of an ultra thin cracker like crust which I am less keen on. So, from the pix I have seen of Ken's it looks like he has a more Napolitana (or Chris Bianco style). Yes?

Also, who has the better sides: antipasto, salads etc?

I haven't been to Ken's but I'd go back to Scholl's in a second. Do keep in mind that some locals call them ""The Pizza Nazi" (I guess if they were true Neapolitan they'd be "the Pizza Duche") because they are somewhat strict in their etiquette: I was told that I could only have x number of toppings on my pizza, for example. Also that there tends to eb a line out the door and that they (I am told) sometimes run out of dough early.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The pizza at Nostrana is probably the best approximation of pizza from Naples, and I'd bet that the typical American pizza lover would probable think Neopolitan pizza is too thin and soft. But most of the Italians I know here in Portland prefer Nostrana for pizza.

Full disclosure: I sell olive oil, vinegar, and salt to Nostrana, and I've known the owners and many of the staff for years. But it's still where i willingly spend my own money for pizza.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

The pizza at Nostrana is probably the best approximation of pizza from Naples, and I'd bet that the typical American pizza lover would probable think Neopolitan pizza is too thin and soft. But most of the Italians I know here in Portland prefer Nostrana for pizza.

Full disclosure: I sell olive oil, vinegar, and salt to Nostrana, and I've known the owners and many of the staff for years. But it's still where i willingly spend my own money for pizza.

Jim

Well! That's interesting as I had made a note to check Notstrana out when I arrived, as the whole menu looks good and the pizza would have been a bonus. Thanks.

If you could only eat pizza at one place in Portland, I'd say it would have to be Apizza Scholls.

Just one opinion.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Having had both on my last trip to Portland for the OBF in '06, I would have to give the nod to Apizza Scholls, whose thin crust wasnt actually that thin, but whose yeasty flavor and good char on the bottom had me first thinking that they were baked in a wood burning oven. The Margherita pie was quite nice, but that Tartufo Bianco pie with the white truffle oil was just off the hook.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"