• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the best Boston Gastropubs?

Mlle Tatin

While I think I know what a "gastropub" is, maybe you can define it so we know what you're looking for. Pub around here tends to = Irish.

Matt Murphy's on Harvard St. in Brookline Village comes to mind. good music too.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Moving to boston in a couple of months from philly. Although I think the name "gastro-pub" is a litte pretentious sounding, it does indeed refer to a bar with better-than-average bar food. These places popped up all over philly the last few years, and they're by far my favorite places to hang out. Here's the menu link from one of the better ones:

http://www.norththird.com/menu.html

Usually the stepped up food is complemented with a nice draft selection of mostly micros.

Probably going to be living in south end or somewhere along mass ave in cambridge. Are there many bars like this in boston? in these areas?

Hi

Moving to boston in a couple of months from philly. Although I think the name "gastro-pub" is a litte pretentious sounding, it does indeed refer to a bar with better-than-average bar food. These places popped up all over philly the last few years, and they're by far my favorite places to hang out.  Here's the menu link from one of the better ones:

Usually the stepped up food is complemented with a nice draft selection of mostly micros.

Probably going to be living in south end or somewhere along mass ave in cambridge. Are there many bars like this in boston? in these areas?

The Druid, Inman Square, Cambridge: A solidly Irish pub with outstanding Irish food. Fish & chips, seafood stews, oxtail stew and a great burger.

River Gods, Central Square, Cambridge: eclectic menu that features a fabulous Korean hand roll.

Publik House, Washington Square, Brookline: one of the best beer collections known to man. Better than average food with a Belgian twist.

Redbones, Davis Square, Somerville: a great wheel of beer and average to good bbq.

Audobon Circle, Kenmore Square, Boston: better than average, inventive bar food. Their sister restaurant, Miracle of Science in Central Square, Cambridge, has great burgers and interesting skewers. Limited menu though.

Edited by gini (log)
Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Hi

Moving to boston in a couple of months from philly. Although I think the name "gastro-pub" is a litte pretentious sounding, it does indeed refer to a bar with better-than-average bar food. These places popped up all over philly the last few years, and they're by far my favorite places to hang out.  Here's the menu link from one of the better ones:

Adding on....

Bukowski's, Inman Square Cambridge and Back Bay, Boston: excellent selection of domestics and imports and inexpensive "faux-dive" food.

Deep Ellum, Union Square, Allston: rotating selection of beers, well made cocktails and good food.

Matt Murphy's, Brookline Village, Brookline: good food, cute faux Irish pub.

Cambridge Brewing Company is the best local brewpub, but that's not saying much. Their food is passable, but their beer is much better than: John Harvard's (chain), Rock Bottom (chain), and Boston Beer Works (not very good beer).

Sunset Grille has one of the largest selections of beer, but their food is average nachos etc.

thanks gini,

the list seems rather weighted towards cambridge. is that b/c you're more familiar with the area or is it b/c that's the type of area that has the greatest demand for this type of bar?

Not that I'd choose to live in a neighborhood solely on the basis of a couple good pubs being located there, but it doesn't hurt...

Pubs in Boston tend to be about the beer rather than the food. And don't expect pubs of any sort if you end up living in the South End.

I'd second Matt Murphy's in Brookline--very good versions of the classics. I'd also add James' Gate in Jamaica Plain, if you happen to be in that neighborhood. There's a pub side with a limited menu and a fireplace, and more of a resto side, with a bar, and a more extensive menu. Places like Miracle of Science and Audobon Circle are good to know about but not exactly food destinations.

thanks gini,

the list seems rather weighted towards cambridge. is that b/c you're more familiar with the area or is it b/c that's the type of area that has the greatest demand for this type of bar?

Not that I'd choose to live in a neighborhood solely on the basis of a couple good pubs being located there, but it doesn't hurt...

My list is weighted with pubs that I like - most of them being near Cambridge & Brookline.

The South End doesn't have any gastropubs to speak of, though JJ Foley's is a respectable pub with goodish food. I find many of the restaurants in the South End to be of the generic pricey New American variety, though I'm very fond of Union, Toro (Spanish tapas), B&G Oyster, and PICCO (pizza). For me, the South End's dining scene is overrun with Pikers (suburbanites) that drive the level of dining down towards the lowest common denominator.

ETA: Silvertone in downtown Boston is a comfort food type of bar that has an ok tap, but nothing special - the food is well executed though. In general, most of the pubs with good food tend to be located south (JP, Dorchester), west (Brookline) and North (Cambridge) of the city. Boston central doesn't have many great pubs that also offer great food, but there are an astounding number of pubs in Boston in general.

Edited by gini (log)

• 2 months later...