• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

non-plastic electric teakettle

deensiebat

this kettle search is harder than i thought it would be -- neither consumer reports nor cook's illustrated has reviewed electric kettles (that i can find), and feedback on big sites like amazon varies a lot (some people love a particular brand, some people find nasty strange smells and frequent breakages). i'd be grateful for any feedback on non-plastic models -- i don't care if the outer part is plastic, but i don't want plastic on the part that touches water (and i've heard that some of the metal models will still have plastic on interior parts of the spout, or level indicator). all details appreciated.

Is there any particular reason you have an aversion to plastic?

just the usual alarmist toxics propaganda. i figure i could contact individual companies and make sure the plastic involved isn't polycarbonate or polyvinyl chloride, but i'd still just as soon steer clear of plastics in contact with boiling water.

this kettle search is harder than i thought it would be -- neither consumer reports nor cook's illustrated has reviewed electric kettles (that i can find), and feedback on big sites like amazon varies a lot (some people love a particular brand, some people find nasty strange smells and frequent breakages).  i'd be grateful for any feedback on non-plastic models -- i don't care if the outer part is plastic, but i don't want plastic on the part that touches water (and i've heard that some of the metal models will still have plastic on interior parts of the spout, or level indicator).  all details appreciated.

russell hobbs do a metal electric kettle. there may be a plastic pourer inside the metal spout

I have a Breville that is stainless steel, save for a small plastic window on one side with measurement markings. It detaches from the heating base for easing pouring, and heats very quickly. Purchased from amazon.com a few years ago.

I have a Toastess that is all metal except for a little plastic strainer on the inside in front of the spout (at least I think there's a little plastic strainer--I'm at work and the teakettle is at home so I can't check). I've had it for ten years, and use it probably six times a day. I love that thing. I even use it to boil water for pasta and whatnot, because it's so much faster than my gas range. The kettle itself is cordless, and sits on a base that plugs in. When the kettle gets spotted from hard water, I just take a little Bon Ami to it and it looks brand new again. It's right up there with the rice cooker as a seemingly redundant kitchen appliance that I wouldn't live without. Two thumbs up.

I also have an all-plastic one at work that my husband bought. I'm with ya on the plastic thing. Boiling water in plastic is just wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. I was getting ready to post that I love, love, love my Braun, and I attempted to google it to include a link and it seems that they now only make it in plastic. The one I have is like this, but stainless:

http://braun.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/15...er-Kettles.html

In fact, on the home page for the store, it's shown in stainless. Who knows, maybe you can find it somewhere on the internet in stainless.