• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta Visit

shengcai

Will be coming to Atlanta (my first time) for a conference from Fri until Tues morning. After doing some research, I've decided on a few places but I would like some feedback from you experts.

For a number of these meals, I'll be dining alone -- eating at the bar would be perfect for me. I'll have a car, so getting around won't be a problem.

On Friday, I'll be arriving around 2 and plan to spend the rest of the afternoon at the aquarium after a quick lunch at Nam. For dinner, I've made reservations at C&S Oyster Bar.

Dinner on Sunday will be a catered event at Anthony's.

Which leaves dinner open on Saturday and Monday night. Based on the reviews, I'd really like to try MF Sushi (I'm a sushi fanatic) and Rathbun's (I'm dying to try their roasted marrow bones and other small plate options like the snails and crudo).

My question is on which night should I go to each restaurant? If the bar at Rathbun's is going to be overcrowded with scenesters on a Sat night, then I'd much rather go to MF on Sat for a more peaceful dining experience (or is that not the case).

Also, does MF offer an omakase option at the bar? I know they offer sushi "chef's choice" combinations with Cali rolls (which I'm not interested in) on their dinner menu, but if possible I'd like for the itamae to keep coming out with items until I'm stuffed. Would this be a reasonable thing to ask for here?

On Sat, Sun, and Mon, I'd also like some recommendations for a quick lunch within walking distance of the convention center. I'm open to all ethnic cuisines.

Of course, I'm very flexible and am open to additional recommendations for must-go places that I may have missed.

I'd recommend Taka over MF, for creativity and price, and Taka will do an omakase. And in general, the maybe-not-so-true rule of thumb is that one should avoid sushi on Monday, so I would do Rathbun's Monday night (assuming they are open). I have to caveat that by saying my two meals at Rathbuns have only been fair. I like Ecco better, or Eugene (much less of a scene, more refined).

Nam is a good choice.

Other musts really depend on what type of food you're after (or what you can't get in your hometown).