• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

alluminum wedge in the middle of the cake

maui420

I was tempted to try this when I heard about it, especially in my larger cakes. So I tried baking one cake without the inner core (some use a flower nail, some use foil) and one with. I observed absolutely no difference in the baking time, or texture of either cake. I was really hoping it would work or I would see some improvement, but I saw none. I tend not to believe in this methodology unfortunately. :sad:

hi,

i saw a thread here about cake decorating and noticed that the awesome cake baker placed a small wedge made up of alluminum foil in the middle of the cake. does this just help in cooking the middle?

Yes. If you find your cakes are drying around the edge while waiting for the middle to get done then this idea is for you.

signed,

awesome cake baker

:raz: