• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Press thingamy

CommissionerLin

Does anyone know what this contraption that I am going to describe is called and where might I be able to purchase one?

The contraption is essentially a food press but its specific purpose is to squeeze the last pint of liquid out of the solid and semi-solid ingredients that have gone into the making of a stock eg., cartilage, bone, skin, vegetables, etc.

I know this contraption exists because I have come across it in cookbooks. It is apparently de rigueur in upscale French restaurants.

Does anyone know what this contraption that I am going to describe is called and where might I be able to purchase one?

The contraption is essentially a food press but its specific purpose is to squeeze the last pint of liquid out of the solid and semi-solid ingredients that have gone into the making of a stock eg., cartilage, bone, skin, vegetables, etc.

I know this contraption exists because I have come across it in cookbooks.  It is apparently de rigueur in upscale French restaurants.

Is this what you are thinking of? Or maybe a food mill?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never heard of pressing stock leftovers to extract the last pint of liquid. You might make a remouillage with the leftovers after straining off the first stock, but you wouldn't press them firstly because life's too short and secondly because you'll get lots of particulates that'll cloud up your stock.

The only thing I can think of that sounds remotely close to what you're describing is a duck press. It's not used for stock, but you would find it in some old-school French restaurants:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/equivalents_s...ndex=D&tid=2529

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Dare I guess a Chinoise strainer...AKA China Cap with the wooden pusher like on a meat grinder?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Sounds to me like a Chinois - a type of strainer used to get the last drops.

I use a food mill, excellent for squeezing all the juice and pulp out of tomatoes, and wonderful for mashed potatoes. Mine comes with three sizes of disk, so that you can choose which is the best for whatever you're squeezing through.

i think you are referring to a chinois (or china cap) and pestle:here

the only thing is, don't extract the very last drops with it--if you mash and press too hard on the solids, you'll get some bitterness in your stock. but other than that, it's a great tool.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i think you are referring to a chinois (or china cap) and pestle:here

Thanks guys, I think the chinois and pestle and the food mill would both do the trick. The duck press might work as well except its probably too small. Typically, I make a stock with pork bones/chicken carcasses/vegetables in a 10 litre stockpot filled to the brim and (as HKDave correctly observed) it would take too long to extract the residual liquid using such a diminutive press.

Presumably if the chinois or sieve were big enough you could dump the solid residue into it and let gravity and time do the trick. The only problem is I haven't come across a chinois/sieve that big and one would need to spend half an hour or more coaxing the liquid out of the solid residue seriatim, were a smaller one to be employed.