• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dusseldorf: current suggestions?

Okay: I'm off to Dusseldorf for a month as of this week. Although there's an excellent chance I'll be working horrendous hours while I'm there, I'd also hate to pass up the opportunity to try local specialities, excellent restaurants, etc etc. So...how about it, egullet? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Miss J

I don’t know if I am late for this, but I have a few places for a Duesseldorf visit for any one.

What follows here are moderate to high priced establishments. My Info comes from data I have collected over the years, while living in Germany from ’85 to ’99. I don’t believe that any of the given addresses have either changed, nor that the place is closed. Although the Chef, where I provided the name, may has departed..

Two places I recommend:

“Victorian” downtown, Koenigstrasse 3a, Chef Guenter Scherrer, a name well known in German gastronomy circles.

“Aalschokker” in the suburb Kaiserswerth, Kaiserswerther Markt 9, Chef Jean Claude Bourgueil. This place is on the first floor in the same building housing the famous

Three Star Michelin “Im Schiffchen”

Another place is “Robert’s Bistro”, near the Rhein River port area, Wupperstrasse 2.

And for the top Italian, and this is not the American Style red sauce Italian, but more of northern Italy cooking : “Guiseppe Verdi” Paulstrasse 5., very elegant.

The next place is a typical Duesseldorf institution: “Gatzweiler Brauhaus”, a brewery Bistro type, located in an old trainstation in the suburb of Oberkassel, Belsenplatz 5. Their own brew is world famous “Altbier”, it’s a different way of brewing, and very distinct to the cities of Koeln and Duesseldorf. It’s drunk out of small very, very thin glasses. Very delicious.

For Lunch I recommend a japanese place : “Edo” in Loerick, Am Seestern 3, and

“An’ne Bell” in Golsheim, Rotterdamer Strasse 11 , it’s not far out from downtown,

For a top Gourmet Shop, they are always called either “Delikatessen” or “Feinkost”. Do not mistake the word Delikatessen with our American Deli, I recommend “Feinkost Reuther” , Berliner Allee 4 or “Muenstermann”, Hohe Strasse 5-13. And then there is a fabulous Butcher Shop: “Foerster Fleisch Koe”, Koenigsallee 60. Do not forget the top Pastryshop/Pattisserie “Konditorei Heinemann”, downtown at the Vereinsbank Passage.

Duesseldorf is known for it’s mustards (Loewensenf) and every little butchershop makes terrific Leberwurst.

Peter

• 5 years later...

www.schlossbensberg.com - Vendome

www.schlosshotel-lerbach.com - Dieter Müller

Both are three star restaurants in the same village of Bergisch Gladbach, very close to Düsseldorf.

www.hummerstuebchen.de

www.im-schiffchen.com

Two very good two star restaurants in Düsseldorf.

• 1 month later...

For local specialties, nothing beats the "Brauerei im Füchschen", Ratinger Str. 28. Old traditional brewery, very rustic, huge portions and very authentic. Of course, not to be compared to any of the above mentioned Michelin star restaurants.