• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tourtiere

It wouldn't be Xmas eve dinner for us without having Tourtiere and a special bottle of wine. This year we'll have it with some Oka as always, maybe some Mont d'Or, antipasto and perhpas we'll try some Duchy tomato chutney on the side.

We make our own tourtiere. Do others make their own, or do you buy it locally?

Edited by jchaput (log)

Here's a Daily Gullet piece about Tourtiere I wrote last year.

You can be very sure I'll make it this year. I've, literally, eaten it every Christmas Eve since I could gum food.

What's your meat mixture?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I make tourtiere, but not a large one. I always make mini tourtieres in bread toasts or wonton cups for a Christmas dinner appetizer, as i will again this year.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've made it for the first time this year from a recipe that I found on the internet. I changed it a bit by using 1/2 beef, 1/2 pork and adding a bit more vegetables to lighten it up. My husband loves it (his family used to make it all the time when he was a child apparently). My in-laws loved the version that I made enough that they wanted to make a dozen to give away as Christmas presents this year. :raz:

I miss my Mom's Tourtiere. Mom's Kazabazua Quebec born and bred, and that's tourtiere country! Next time she visits, I'll have to add it to the list of "stuff I get my mom to cook for me".

Like fudge. She's some sort of magician with fudge...no measuring, she just puts the stuff in the saucepan, boils it, and ends up with perfect creamy fudge. And it's not that fake sweetened condensed milk stuff either, it's actual fudge.

Hmmm. I could ramble on about my mom's cooking, but I didn't mean to hijack, sorry!

My mum makes them every year with pork, veal and beef, potato onion and mushrooms.

Inexplicably, she often serves them with guacamole, which works surprisingly well.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

My SIL's tourtiere has been not so lovingly nicknamed Torture Pie. Every year my brother and the kids choke back the pie ...for traditions sake they say. I think I'll steal Marlene's idea and make mini tourtieres this year.

My MIL makes it every year, but we eat it for breakfast on Christmas morning. She serves it with a mushroom gravy, eggs, and fresh fruit. A tasty treat, but a bit heavy for breakfast for my liking. My hubby loves it, and can't wait for Christmas.

Never let him know that I told anyone that he makes these pies/and sells them to friends; but I buy my tourtiere from Bistro Chez Michel in Lonsdale! It is the closest to the Montreal style I have tried on the west coast.

Just need to get a bottle of green ketchup and all is good.

Chef/Owner/Teacher