• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Recent bottles

Florida Jim

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne (blanc) Les Clous:

Somewhat closed at first but after an hour it opened to clean white fruit and chardonnay smells; clear and focused in the mouth as lemon, white fruit and a light spice note are delivered in a medium weight, silky texture; a medium length and balanced finish. Could use a year or two in the cellar but a decant helps if drinking today. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $25; I’ll buy more.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone Jolly:

Off the charts delicious; strong raspberry flavors with earth and spice tones and a lift of freshness from the acidity; I can not think of a more lip-smackingly good pink. Bravo! 13.2% alcohol and about $17; back up the truck.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:

Dusty rose and red fruit nose; dusty also in the mouth with red fruit and earth flavors and a very light smoky touch; medium length finish. A charming wine with character. 13% alcohol, imported by Locasio and about $20 on release; I bought several cases.

2005 Tanca sa Contissa, Vermetino di Sardegna:

Bright, lemony and crisp on the nose; similar on the palate with a bitter almond note that keeps the fruit flavors vivid and the finish very clean. An ideal wine with seafood. 13% alcohol, imported by Vigneti d’Italia and about $10; I’d buy it again.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne (rouge) La Digoine:

What was once a bit stemmy and narrow is now fleshy and ripe; excellent cherry flavors with earth and fresh herb accents, a silken texture and a bright, intense finish. Lovely wine. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $25; worth it and then some.

2004 Montes Alpha, Syrah:

Quite a bit of oak on the nose, a touch hot and pretty sweet overall although it does taste like syrah; a soulless wine without character and obviously manipulated. I understand why this would have its appeal and why the Spectator would recommend it, but this is not my style. 14.5% alcohol, imported by T.G.I.C. Imports and about $17; no thanks.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com