• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "A New Way To Cook"

hjshorter

Several years ago this cookbook cames out--a 'new' approach to healthy eating--and I bought it and never even LOOKED through it ! :huh: I was just going through the garage and found a box of cookbooks that I'd forgotten I had (o Joy!! Christmas!! :biggrin: ) and there it was.

Does anyone remember this book? Cooked from it? Liked it........or not?

So many cookbooks, so little time......... :laugh:

I am another who bought this book and never really looked too much at it. (Cookbook addict) After reading through parts of this thread, I may try a few dishes also.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

My tried-and-true three favorite recipes from this book are:

"Pan-Smoked Fish" (pages 266-268) cooked in a cast-iron wok after curing. This recipe is delicious with salmon, swordfish, or scallops.

"Tuna Burgers" (page 271), a recipe inspired by one served at Gotham Bar & Grill in NYC. I like to serve it on a toasted English muffin with wasabi mayonnnaise and lettuce.

"Home-Cured Salmon" (pages 276-279). The best, in my opinion, is the "Salmon Cured with Tequila and Cilantro," which is delicious on a toasted and buttered bagel, bialey, or English muffin.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

• 11 months later...

I'm hoping that BUMPing this up again will renew some interest

As I mentioned on the thread for her newest book, I did the Barnes and Noble University on-line course on this book, and I've gotten excited about it again. Tonight I made the olive-enhanced olive oil; later in the week I'll make the basil oil and the balsamic syrup. I want to try the basil oil on potatoes.

Several of the participants in the class this time, indicated they'd been through the class before. Today I looked for, but could not find, an indication of when it will be offered again. I hope it's soon. Certain life events have kept me from keeping up with the pace of the class, but I've printed out all of the material and will begin working at my own pace. In looking through the lengthy condiments section, I've seen several things I want to try. I'd love to hear more uses for some of the recipes in that section.

Sally was on Lynne Rosetto Kasper's program last week, talking about enhancing certain "disappointing" vinegars with other flavors. I've been meaning to go back and take notes on it, and put them in my notebook. I think it's a brilliant idea. And I don't see why it should be limited to those vinegars we're not crazy about; if a vinegar is already pretty good, maybe an added ingredient or two (to a portion of the bottle decanted into another vessel) might just be better, right?

Anybody else cooking from this book these days?

Edited by jgm (log)

• 6 months later...

I bought a copy of A New Way to Cook a while back at Costco for some ridiculous price like $5 or $6, (or something close to that). How could you not pick it up? So far it has just made for some interesting reading. Don't really know where to start in this one. Anyone have suggestions? Anything that was really worth making?

Thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I was given A New Way To Cook when it was first published as a gift. It's an enjoyable book. There are a few dishes we've adapted and made our own. There is a wonderful warm potato salad with a white wine shallot dressing that we change according to our on hand ingredients but use the recipe's method. We also love the 21 Club chopped salad. There is a great honey and seed cured pork loin roast that I've made again and again. I've used most of the rubs and seasonings on a regular basis. The most brilliant rub is nothing more than smoked lapsong suchong tea that is processed in a coffee grinder. We mix it with kosher salt and black pepper and rub it on a steak, then pan sear it. It tastes wood grilled! I never would have thought of using that tea as a rub. Actually, all the meat and poultry items we've done have been very good. I do like the author's philosophy of eating well prepared, intensely flavored food in more moderate portions.

I haven't pulled this one out in a while!

Page 338 the Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce is one recipe I go back to over and over.

This is the recipe I recommend as well. Its great made a day ahead and reheated. The flavors really meld!!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I won't be able to get to any of them

until the middle of next week. I will report back when I do. The Chicken with

Sherry Vinegar Sauce got a few votes and sounds like a good place to start.

dockhl, thanks for the link. I am going to spend some time going through that

now

maftoul, thanks for all of your suggestions. I like the idea of using shallots in

place of the Vidalia onions. I usually have shallots on hand, 'cause I like to

throw them into so many recipes.

I'm off to find some more. Thanks again!

John Maynard Keynes

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to make the Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce. I used all thighs, instead of a cut-up chicken. Wow, it was really wonderful. Thanks to everyone who recommended it. We served it with what the book suggested, Brown Butter Orzo "Risotto". I didn't really care for it, but my husband liked it. I just poured a bunch of the sauce from the chicken over it, which improved it greatly. We decided to save the leftovers for tomorrow, to extend the pleasure, but I really would love to have it again tonight. Great choice, folks. Thanks a lot!

John Maynard Keynes

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the Coq au Vin (Chicken in Red Wine with Mushrooms, Bacon & Pearl Onions) - p.336. I always used to use Julia Child's Coq au Vin recipe - but this is the one I now refer to. You've got to be in the mood to log some kitchen time and be prepared to keep your eye on things, but you'd certainly be doing that with Julia's recipe!

I enjoy that Chicken/Sherry Vinegar dish very much, too.

I've also liked the Braised Fish Fillets w/Their Own Pan Sauce - p.226 and all those variations.

Every time I try something from this book, I wonder why I don't use it more - it's bulky, but once you get used to the style, very user friendly.

I really like Sally's books and have just finished contributing to a 5-month project inspired by her Improvisational Cook. I've met Sally twice now; she leaves me filled with enthusiasm for her approach to food. She's got a great sense of humour and a way of looking at and experiencing food and it's preparation in a relaxed, approachable, fun and truly enjoyable way.

Thanks for bringing this book back into my focus. I'm going to do some pleasurable browsing.

Rover

• 7 months later...

Inspired by the Quest to make things healthier thread, a few of us (well, maybe it's just dockhl and myself) thought it would be great to start a thread dedicated to working through Sally Schneider's A New Way To Cook (similar to the Cradle of Flavor thread). The book has been out for a few years, but has some great ideas to cook a little healthier (perhaps the Holiday Season is not the best time to start this project...). For whatever reason, I always seem to overlook this book. Maybe because there is a ton of information in each recipe (notes galore) and I find it kind of overwhelming - or more of a go-to book (like Joy of Cooking). Anyway, I think it will be a great learning experience - new techniques and ways to add flavor. Please feel free to play along!

On a side note - my photog skills are SORELY lacking. I recently bought a new digital camera and don't really know how to work it yet (don't really know how to work the old one either). So bear with me while I learn (btw - if anyone can point me to the thread which talks about how to take good food pix, I would appreciate it. I swear I saw one once but can't find it now).

Game on Dockhl! Hope you are settling into the new place. :)

Alright, first recipe: Macaroni and Cheese

Point of this recipe - replace high fat ingredients with 2 flavorful cheeses and a “rice cream” sauce consisting of rice flour and whole milk (calories are still about 483 however...)

Important info/notes –

- For cheeses, I used Cabot’s Aged White Cheddar, an Aged Gouda (Uniekaas Reserve) and a Parmesan (Antigo Stravecchio) - yes, i cheated by using three cheeses instead of 2, but the amounts still added up to 6 oz of cheese.

Any problems/substitutions?

- I somehow lost my Hungarian Sweet Paprika (I’m sure it’s hiding here somewhere) so ended up using Smoked Paprika instead

- When combining the rice flour and milk, it didn’t say to do this over heat (I did)…still not too sure if it made a difference.

- It also said to bring to a boil over very low heat. I got tired of waiting and cranked up the heat to medium.

Lessons Learned/what worked

- I liked adding the cheese, rice cream and pasta at the same time. The cheese didn’t totally get combined with the rice cream which made for spots of cheese after baking. The macaroni looked like it separated after baking. I was sure it was going to be grainy, but it wasn’t.

Verdict? Pretty dang good. Very flavorful. I’d definitely make it again. I know it saves some calories by using the rice cream sauce in place of a standard béchamel. But it did use whole milk… Makes me wonder how it would taste using skim milk.

gallery_10323_5449_34236.jpg

gallery_10323_5449_5283.jpg

gallery_10323_5449_164.jpg

Recipe index (I’ll post this somewhere else shortly):

Pasta

Macaroni and Cheese post 2

Recipe 2 (what can I say - it was snowing and brutally cold today) - Warm Potato Salad with Olives, Lemon Zest and Thyme

Point of this recipe – dress potatoes with wine and other flavorings instead of mayo - calories 217

Important info/notes

- I used Yukon Gold potatoes and Vermouth instead of wine

Any problems/substitutions?

- Um, I overcooked the potatoes. A lot.

Lessons Learned/what worked

- Don’t over cook your potatoes! :smile:

- I love what happened to the olives when boiled with the wine/olive oil mixture. They were so good! I think it would convert anyone to being an olive lover (even my husband, but I didn’t push my luck this evening).

Verdict? It was really just ok. I think that I have had similar recipes that had a bit more flavor (I think Cook's Illustrated has something similar). But on the other side, there was nothing bad about it. I think I would try it again with a few tweaks - substitute other herbs for the thyme, maybe a bit more vinegar.

gallery_10323_5449_14135.jpg

gallery_10323_5449_7413.jpg

This shot could qualify for the Gallery of Regrettable Foods:

gallery_10323_5449_7589.jpg

Recipe index:

Salads

Warm Potato Salad with Olives, Lemon Zest and Thyme p3

Pasta

Macaroni and Cheese p2

I have had this book since it came out but I also haven't really put it to good use. I do have one favorite recipe that I make over and over, Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce on pg 338. I know I am not alone in my love for this recipe as it has been discussed here before. :biggrin: I make comments in my books after trying recipes and here are some I have listed:

WONDERFUL/EXCELLENT

Basic Cooked Beans, Peas and Lentils pg 92

Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce pg 338

VERY GOOD

Southeast Asian Slaw pg 429

GOOD

Slow Roasted Tomatoes pg 38

Chicken with Garlic, Thyme and Olives pg 306 (with the comment that while it tasted good it wasn't very appealing to the eye)

Rosemary, Lemon and Pepper Focaccia pg 366 (with a note to increase the toppings)

NO!

Balsamic Syrup pg 636 (this could have been my fault but I have notes saying it was bitter and extremely sticky)

Red Wine-Cranberry Sauce pg 669 (way too sour)

Pages that I have circled the page number (this means someone told me this is very good but I have yet to try it)

Brown Butter Orzo "Risotto" pg 126

Braised Fish Fillets with their own Pan Sauce pg 226

Ginger and Cilantro Crab Cakes pg 269

Carrots in Chermoula pg 434

Fruits in Fragrant Wines pg 464

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Great to see this thread kicking off. My copy of the book will take some 3 weeks to arrive.

Thanks, moreace01, for sharing your cooking in such a helpful way. The tips and notes (of the others too) are most appreciated.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

On a side note - my photog skills are SORELY lacking. I recently bought a new digital camera and don't really know how to work it yet (don't really know how to work the old one either). So bear with me while I learn (btw - if anyone can point me to the thread which talks about how to take good food pix, I would appreciate it. I swear I saw one once but can't find it now).

Click here and follow all the links, and the next time you post, you're going to 'wow' us. :biggrin:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Tepee – thanks for the link to the photo thread! I knew it was lurking around here somewhere… I think I need to read my camera's manual first.

Based on the recommendations from all of you – I can’t wait to try the Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce. I read through the other threads on this book when the “healthy cooking” thread started up – thanks everyone above for adding the links! I will try not to duplicate those entries – but had a few things already lined up.

Foolproof Roast Chicken

One question (ok, two)

1. Schneider recommends rubbing the chicken with a little Grappa which she says will intensify the chicken’s natural flavor (she also recommends doing this with mushrooms). Has anyone ever done this? I meant to try it, but my shopping trip was in the middle of a snowstorm and getting home was more important than stopping at a liquor store.

2. How do you get crispy skin in a gas oven? Should I just give up? I have a heck of a time with roast chicken. I think the best I can do is if I let it airdry in the fridge overnight. I can’t do high heat roasting in my poorly ventilated condo (with the stupid hard-wired smoke/carbon monoxide alarm).

Verdict? Again, it was good. What I do like about her sauces is that no ingredient overpowers another – everything melds together well. I fought myself trying to thicken it at the end.

Roasted Veggies

I used 3lb carrots and parsnips in a tablespoon of brown butter (well, it was more like black) with handfuls of thyme tossed on top. Nothing to report – roasted veggies always rule. But I like her suggestions of varying up the fats – I always use olive oil. I’m so boring.

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

I used Yukon Golds.

Problems? Again I noticed her potato boiling times are way off.

Verdict? Yeah, ok, it’s a basic but I’ve never made Buttermilk Mashed potatoes with Yukon Golds before. For the amount of fat in these – I’d definitely do again.

gallery_10323_5449_11880.jpg

OK, I'm back ! :biggrin:

Thanks for getting this going, moreace01, and for everyone who has joined in so far. I think we've tried several times to make this happen but for some reason, it is tough with this book. :huh:

moreace01, your posts are excellent, both from a photo and commentary perspective. I need to figure out what box of cookbooks this one is in and pick something. I promise I'll make that happen today :wink:

I find the recipes in this book underwhelming. I rarely look for anything here. I don't think I am alone in this verdict. It will take a few raves to get me to reconsider.

I can totally understand that - it's really more of an ordinary, weeknight book for me as most of the recipes contain ingrediants I readily have on-hand. Not a book I would pull out when I want to impress someone. I think my goal in going through this book is to learn some new techniques to keep calorie levels down without resorting to fat-free ingrediants.

In addition, this book is helping me come up with creative ways to use leftovers. I usually don't have leftovers and coming up with new, elaborate meals every night is exhausting me.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, once the New Year begins we are going to move on cooking from this cookbook ! :laugh:

I found a recipe collection on her website (click here) for those who don't have the book or would like to try it out.

Tonight, in fact, I am going to make the much touted Sherry Chicken. I'll try to remember to take photos and will report on the whole experience.

Kathy

I've made a few more things out of this book in the past month:

Mashed potato cake: basically layer parmesan in a non-stick skillet, top with leftover mashed potatoes, layer more parm on top and bake. Verdict: great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes when you don't have any gravy (like - why didn't I think of that?). I've done it a few times since then.

Fresh Lemon Cake: uses buttermilk in place of other fats. Verdict: Great flavor - love the clove infused lemon syrup - but it's a bit dry. She has an alternative for this to fill with fresh lemon curd - probably a good idea! Calories: 271/serving

Fried Artichokes with Crispy Garlic and Sage over Ravioli: basically you carmelize the artichoke cut side down and then build a sauce around that. Wasn't really much of a sauce when placed over pasta. Plus, a lot of work to clean the artichoke (again, something I've never done - and would say I probably won't do it again as it seemed wasteful). Verdict: not so much... Calories: 461 (includes pasta thankfully)

Rosemary Buttermilk Biscuits: once again, great flavor but a bit dry. Still, I loved her suggestion to serve as a sandwich with melted sharp cheddar, chutney and leftover chicken. That's what I did with her "foolproof roast chicken" and loved the flavor combo. Calories: 104/biscuit

So far, mostly what I've learned is that she's got great flavor combos but sometimes you really just need to leave the fat in!

This evening, I made my first recipe, Foolproof Roast Chicken, from the book, together with a few heads of roast garlic, roast carrots and shallots. Everyone in the family LOVED it. The skin was so crispy, you'd think it was deep-fried, and even the white meat was very moist. I baked a 4lb hormone-free chicken and it took half an hour longer than the one hour or so for the recipe's 3-pounder. As I carved the legs, I noticed some traces of blood (though the juices ran clear), so I popped the chicken into the oven again to bake. I went and did something else and forgot to put on the timer and it got cooked for another 20 minutes. But..... this recipe is so foolproof that it didn't hurt any part of the chicken at all. Everything was still so succulent and the skin became even more crisp and yet it didn't burn. Lovely. Should have taken a picture.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)