• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banh cuon in Hanoi?

I'm not sure if that Banh Cuon place is still there, but I know banh cuon can be had in Hanoi. There was a small stall selling it across from my house on Phan Phu Tien (near the Temple of Literature). Like most street food in Hanoi, though, it's extremely time-sensitive. They only make it from 6am-9am, then they would switch to prepping for bun cha for lunch 10am -1pm.

Some serious Hanoi foodies hang out over here, you can try looking around or posting a question there. Good luck!

I'm not sure if that Banh Cuon place is still there, but I know banh cuon can be had in Hanoi. There was a small stall selling it across from my house on Phan Phu Tien (near the Temple of Literature). Like most street food in Hanoi, though, it's extremely time-sensitive. They only make it from 6am-9am, then they would switch to prepping for  bun cha for lunch 10am -1pm.

Some serious Hanoi foodies hang out over here, you can try looking around or posting a question there. Good luck!

Thanks, Nakji! That would go a long way to explaining the lack of banh cuon..having to be up looking for it before 9am!!

And thanks for the fantastic Hanoi foodblog you contributed to eG..it's truly a treasure.

:blush:

Thanks! One of the things I love about Hanoi is that every two hours, there's a whole new set of food to enjoy! But food is really time sensitive, and nothing of note is served between 1-3pm, so I suggest getting up early like the locals do, and catching a nap in the early afternoon.

I also strongly recommend a visit to Chim Xao, a restaurant on Ngo Hue (right off Pho Hue, not too far down from Hoan Kiem Lake, on the left), where the whole steamed soy sauce fish and the bo luc lac are great. I recommend chicken street, off of Nguyen Thai Hoc, near Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. I'm not sure, but I think the street name is Ly Van Phuc - anyway, there's a cloud of chicken grease smoke over it, so you can't miss it. Get the sweet potato, banh my, and chicken thigh. You won't regret it. Please post pics when you come back.