• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelburger vs. Transglutaminase

webguide

I buy my textura-products from a German supplier (Molekularkoch Metropolis

) they have a product called Gelburger which should act like a meat glue, but it does not contain Transglutaminase. It contains: Sodium Alginate (E 401) (yep the spherification agent), Calcium Sulphate (E 516) and Diphospates (E 451).

Any one that is familiar with this (or similar) product?

Edited by webguide (log)

I don't think glopping a bunch of stuff together with alginate is anything like gluing proteins together. If you are making a slury of proteins and want to make a patty I am sure it's fine.

What do you want to do with it?

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

I guess they can call it a glue in the sense that it will bind things together, such as patties, as Pounce says. Michel Richard uses gelatin in a lot of his recipes in the same sort of way.

But TG is very different, in that it acts directly on the surfaces of the ingredients, causing crosslinking between the proteins of the meat, fish etc. I doubt anyone could fuse their fingers together with Gelburgeur. :wink:

If you've already got some Texturas Algin and some Calcic or Gluco I'd imagine you could mix up an equivalent yourself.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

I guess they can call it a glue in the sense that it will bind things together, such as patties, as Pounce says. Michel Richard uses gelatin in a lot of his recipes in the same sort of way.

But TG is very different, in that it acts directly on the surfaces of the ingredients, causing crosslinking between the proteins of the meat, fish etc. I doubt anyone could fuse their fingers together with Gelburgeur.  :wink:

If you've already got some Texturas Algin and some Calcic or Gluco I'd imagine you could mix up an equivalent yourself.

Ah, as I suspected then, not realy what I was looking for....

Thanx!

Got an answer from "my" online textura-shop (Its German and they ship to about anywhere). They will soon have a product called: Activia GS which is sort of a variant of transglutaminase but it is safe to handle, so you don’t need gloves and mask...

The shop: https://shop.strato.de/epages/Store10.sf/en...87&Locale=en_GB

Edited by webguide (log)