• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Credit where credit is due

Tri2Cook

Problem solved, debate resolved, indecision ended. I went the next step and emailed Mr. Walrath through his website...

"Hi Larry,

Go ahead, knock yourself out, hope it goes well for you....send me a photo

of your version.

Kurt"

:biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I get the sense that Larry is ready for this topic to die :wink: But I think its an interesting question.

It seems to me that copying a plating is more akin to copying a work of art. The plating is an artistic endeavor that once re-created becomes a new creation. For example, if I were to repaint the Mona Lisa - not to pass it off as the original - then its a new creation. I would call that painting "Rob's Mona Lisa" (actually I would call it "Rob's Moana Lisa"). Warhol made a career out of this.

No matter how hard you tried, your plating will never be 100% exactly the same as the original (or any other recreation for that matter), so by definition it becomes inspired by or in homage to.

If copying these leg tuiles were a problem, then think about the ramifications - no swirls, no circles, no triangles, etc...

But to finish my comparison - if I recreate a recipe (implying that everything is measured, my temperature is true, and all other stated elements are identical-which of course is nearly impossible) then the item is not my own creation. It is my making of someone else's creation. Cooking/baking is art, but its a combination of art and science (for lack of a better word), moreso than plating which is the assembly of the art.

Just the rambling thoughts of an aspiring food ethicist.

Hope it turns out great!

Nope Rob, I'm actually enjoying the different perspectives on the question. It generated some points that I hadn't considered before and it also creates more questions (like where the line is drawn, as in the swirls, etc. you mentioned or, if you layer biscuit, berries and cream can it be traced back to the first strawberry shortcake and thus be theft of design).

With Mr. Walrath's permission and my intention to not try to pass it off as my own, I feel the ethical debate has been resolved for this one specific situation. It's my understanding that Mr. Walrath is no longer involved with pastry, I think he's devoted to his glass work now, so it was really nice of him to take time to reply and awesome of him to say "go for it".

After all of this, it'll be a shame if I manage to completely butcher it. :blink:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, where do you draw the line ? If you take the argument to its logical conclusion, then every vinaigrette, garnish, fumet should be credited to its original. So much copying and borrowing goes on that it would be impossible to list everything.

In which case Heston Blumenthal should be up for theft of concept from Ferran Adria.

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

Well I decided not to do it this time since the dinner I was going to use it at turned out to be a christmas party and they don't really look christmas-y (although I thought up a solution for that, but not in time to try it). I still want to do this one, especially now that I have an official "go for it" from Kurt himself, but I'll save it for another occasion. I think the reason I had the question (and where the line was drawn for me) was not related to the dessert itself but due to the fact that I'd be using someone else's presentation. There is a difference between painting a picture of a clock to sell and painting a copy of Dali's Melting Clocks to sell. I wouldn't feel the need to track down the person who painted the first picture of some random clock but I would (if he was still living) feel the need to at least attempt to ask Salvador if it was ok to use a copy of his work for commercial purposes.

Well I decided not to do it this time since the dinner I was going to use it at turned out to be a christmas party and they don't really look christmas-y (although I thought up a solution for that, but not in time to try it). I still want to do this one, especially now that I have an official "go for it" from Kurt himself, but I'll save it for another occasion. I think the reason I had the question (and where the line was drawn for me) was not related to the dessert itself but due to the fact that I'd be using someone else's presentation. There is a difference between painting a picture of a clock to sell and painting a copy of Dali's Melting Clocks to sell. I wouldn't feel the need to track down the person who painted the first picture of some random clock but I would (if he was still living) feel the need to at least attempt to ask Salvador if it was ok to use a copy of his work for commercial purposes.

I was glad to see you e-mailed him, and asked. I'm glad to see you were torn w/ the choice. This certainly isn't an indictment on you. So please don't take it that way. It just seems ethics in all fields have been thrown out the window. Oh BTW the plating is cool. :cool:

Mike