• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Williams-Sonoma Granville opens this weekend

Finally, after having a location in Calgary for years we backwater Vancouverites get our own Williams-Sonoma.

Whether it will be a fully stocked store or just a boutique version remains to be seen but what I'm waiting to see is how the pricing will stack up against the U.S. stores.

The fact that this location opens well after our loonie has reached par and beyond should be a great opportunity to level out the pricing scenario in a fresh location.

I don't necessarily expect that prices will be the same as in the U.S., given that our market is (arguably) more expensive to do business in, but I do hope to see some very competitive pricing here.

I'm off to Portland in a week or so and plan to do some comparison shopping.

Williams-Sonoma also owns Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware, so it looks like they have those few blocks of high rent Granville St. pretty much covered. You can just comparison shop there!

Word on the street is that they are going to open a "Pottery Barn Kids" or some such store in the old temporary Pottery Barn location (now vacant) two doors South of Williams-Sonoma, so that will make 4 locations between Broadway and 14th!

I'd be interested to see what prices you find in the US. I was at the store a few days ago and compared prices to what was found online and the Breville Panini Press is about the same price ($99.95).

The prices in general are not cheap but they're fair compared to what you'll find online (in US dollars). What I like about the store is that they carry brands and products we don't already have in Vancouver. You pay a premium compared to other brands, perhaps, but depending on what's important to you (e.g. quality, functionality, aesthetics, value, price, etc.) it's nice to have the options.

well first impressions, over-hyped, over-priced, underwhelming

That's how I feel about that whole neighbourhood! :rolleyes:

Oh c'mon. Just because they charge $12. (true) for a bag of Panko you're all over them. :wink:

My thing is that although the savvy shopper can find most of the items they sell much cheaper elsewhere, they darn well better be selling what they sell at relatively similar prices to their U.S. counterparts (given the current state of our currency). And maybe they are. I'm off to Portland tomorrow and I'll see.

I'm more of a fan of Crate & Barrel which is also pretty classy but I find the prices a little more in line with reality. Looks like I'm still going to Seattle for some gear.

I actually did not know Williams Sonoma owned restoration hardware. That is quite the street ownership they have on Granville.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I don't think Restoration Hardware is owned by Williams Sonoma. RH always seems to be tottering on the edge of bankruptcy.

I agree that Crate & Barrel is much much better - better priced and better selection. I lived in California for a number of years - and I never never bought anything at WS. Except for some of the food items - you can the stuff elsewhere for cheaper. I`d pine for Ming Wo, Gourmet Warehouse, Cookworks, and Cookshop (City Square). Vancouver actually has a remarkable range of local choices for kitchenware.

Still - it is a beautiful store to visit and get ideas.

Just got back from Portland where I visited the W.S. and the prices here still seem to be based on a Loonie of about 5 years ago.

Shun 8" Classic Chef Knife $119. vs $149.

All Clad measuring cup set: $39. vs $60.

4" set of Quiche pans $22. vs $36.

And the famous Panko which was $12. here was a real deal :wink: at $9. in the Portland store.

I bought the Shun Knife I've been coveting at the Sur La Table Store 'cause it was a buck cheaper and the staff were so nice. (And no sales tax!!)

I used to moan about vancouver not having a Williams - Sonoma but the week they arrived, I suddenly worried about all the local shops that have done a great job keeping up with the changing market for housewares.

With that thought, I decided to focus on locally owned stores like Ming-Wo and Cookworks and even the Kitchen Goodies in metrotown.

Think global, shop local etc etc.