• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shorty's.32

Nathan

Didn't see a thread on this place which opened a couple months ago in SoHo.

Ended up here last night cause Tailor appeared to have been rented out for the evening.

Nice wine list. Decent bar and affable staff. Decor/Ambience is good.

Began with a Jerusalem artichoke soup. This was fine, if a little lacking in full artichoke flavor, usual combination of stock and finished with cream. A nice touch was the addition of well-made potato chips for texture. But.....it was a huge bowl for $7. not sure I could do it at home for that.

Followed with a superb burger. Burgers have gotten exponentially better in this town in the last couple years...and this is another example. Really good. Came with a huge pile of excellent frites. $14 for the whole thing.

A couple next to me at the bar ordered the pork belly app with cranberry beans...looked good...large portion for an app. Ditto for their "crab sticks".... They also had a cod entree that was finished in front of the diner with broth...a haute touch that was talked about when it occurred in a three or four star restaurant five years ago (JG used to get plaudits because so many courses are finished at the table)...now everyone's doing it.

If I lived within a few blocks I'd probably eat here a lot. It's probably a lot better than the west SoHo neighborhood mainstays: Cub Room and Raoul's.

Didn't see a thread on this place which opened a couple months ago in SoHo.

Ended up here last night cause Tailor appeared to have been rented out for the evening.

Nice wine list.  Decent bar and affable staff.  Decor/Ambience is good. 

Began with a Jerusalem artichoke soup.  This was fine, if a little lacking in full artichoke flavor, usual combination of stock and finished with cream.  A nice touch was the addition of well-made potato chips for texture.  But.....it was a huge bowl for $7.  not sure I could do it at home for that.

Followed with a superb burger.  Burgers have gotten exponentially better in this town in the last couple years...and this is another example.  Really good.  Came with a huge pile of excellent frites.  $14 for the whole thing. 

A couple next to me at the bar ordered the pork belly app with cranberry beans...looked good...large portion for an app.  Ditto for their "crab sticks"....  They also had a cod entree that was finished in front of the diner with broth...a haute touch that was talked about when it occurred in a three or four star restaurant five years ago (JG used to get plaudits because so many courses are finished at the table)...now everyone's doing it.

If I lived within a few blocks I'd probably eat here a lot.  It's probably a lot better than the west SoHo neighborhood mainstays: Cub Room and Raoul's.

Given that it's Josh Eden, (ex JG) you may have no choice