• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Shorty's.32

Didn't see a thread on this place which opened a couple months ago in SoHo.

Ended up here last night cause Tailor appeared to have been rented out for the evening.

Nice wine list. Decent bar and affable staff. Decor/Ambience is good.

Began with a Jerusalem artichoke soup. This was fine, if a little lacking in full artichoke flavor, usual combination of stock and finished with cream. A nice touch was the addition of well-made potato chips for texture. But.....it was a huge bowl for $7. not sure I could do it at home for that.

Followed with a superb burger. Burgers have gotten exponentially better in this town in the last couple years...and this is another example. Really good. Came with a huge pile of excellent frites. $14 for the whole thing.

A couple next to me at the bar ordered the pork belly app with cranberry beans...looked good...large portion for an app. Ditto for their "crab sticks".... They also had a cod entree that was finished in front of the diner with broth...a haute touch that was talked about when it occurred in a three or four star restaurant five years ago (JG used to get plaudits because so many courses are finished at the table)...now everyone's doing it.

If I lived within a few blocks I'd probably eat here a lot. It's probably a lot better than the west SoHo neighborhood mainstays: Cub Room and Raoul's.

Didn't see a thread on this place which opened a couple months ago in SoHo.

Ended up here last night cause Tailor appeared to have been rented out for the evening.

Nice wine list.  Decent bar and affable staff.  Decor/Ambience is good. 

Began with a Jerusalem artichoke soup.  This was fine, if a little lacking in full artichoke flavor, usual combination of stock and finished with cream.  A nice touch was the addition of well-made potato chips for texture.  But.....it was a huge bowl for $7.  not sure I could do it at home for that.

Followed with a superb burger.  Burgers have gotten exponentially better in this town in the last couple years...and this is another example.  Really good.  Came with a huge pile of excellent frites.  $14 for the whole thing. 

A couple next to me at the bar ordered the pork belly app with cranberry beans...looked good...large portion for an app.  Ditto for their "crab sticks"....  They also had a cod entree that was finished in front of the diner with broth...a haute touch that was talked about when it occurred in a three or four star restaurant five years ago (JG used to get plaudits because so many courses are finished at the table)...now everyone's doing it.

If I lived within a few blocks I'd probably eat here a lot.  It's probably a lot better than the west SoHo neighborhood mainstays: Cub Room and Raoul's.

Given that it's Josh Eden, (ex JG) you may have no choice

Sign in to follow this