• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The OJ Topic

Jason Perlow

Rachel and I bought some of this stuff on our last trip to Shoprite -- they were 2 59oz containers for 4 bucks on sale:

Simply Orange (website)

Its quite good -- almost tastes fresh squeezed, and doesnt taste as pasteurized as Tropicana does, which is our old standby next to Florida's Natural.

It comes in a clear plastic bottle sorta like an old glass milk container with a large green twistoff cap.

about_grove.gif

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's actually not that new.  I bought it about a year and a half ago.

I agree its pretty good.  I remember it being a bit expensive.

just comes to show how often I go shopping in supermarkets :biggrin:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 year later...

We've been buying a lot of different brands of pasteurized OJ lately -- mostly we seem to be picking up what's on sale these days.

Tropicana, in whatever variety, seems to be our juice of choice, with Minute Maid or Florida's Natural in a close second. However after sampling Stew Leonard's in house brand of juice, which is also not from concentrate, it seems to give Tropi a run for its money.

All I can say is I don't like Tree Ripe. It has a nasty aftertaste that I can't quite isolate.

All I can say is I don't like Tree Ripe. It has a nasty aftertaste that I can't quite isolate.

So you picked it up too? That aftertaste was driving Blovie and me nuts. That brand is now on the forbidden list.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

So you picked it up too? That aftertaste was driving Blovie and me nuts. That brand is now on the forbidden list.

I'm glad its not just me, I had some flu like illness for the last 3 days that I am just recovering from today, I poured all of it down the sink this morning, thinking that it might have been some food borne illness from bad Tree Ripe. But it probably was just the flu or some other short term virus, and Tree Ripe just plain sucks.

For frozen juices, my first choice is Trader Joe's Valencia. Nice balanced, fresh flavor, not too sweet. A small glass in the morning makes me very happy. Second choice is Minute Maid original.

For a treat, I'll get some Odwalla Tangerine juice. Really nice! I'd say it was...sprightly! yeah, that's it...sprightly...

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

OJ in the Soba/Ovaltine junkie roomie household varies between Tropi OJ/pineapple and Tropi OJ/banana/strawberry blends.

Sometimes I'll give Minute Maid a whirl but not lately.

Soba

Yeah, the blends aren't bad, but my attitude is that Tropi already charges an arm and a leg for their juice compared to most brands, so I'm not going to pay their premium price for their blends that they already charge for their pure OJ.

I figure if you want a blend of juices, just buy some pure Tropi and a few other juice flavors and mix your own.

I'm glad its not just me, I had some flu like illness for the last 3 days that I am just recovering from today, I poured all of it down the sink this morning, thinking that it might have been some food borne illness from bad Tree Ripe. But it probably was just the flu or some other short term virus, and Tree Ripe just plain sucks.

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather.

Tree Ripe isn't the only brand with an odd aftertaste. A number of brands have it. I find Florida's Natural OJ to have an off flavor so I only drink their grapefruit juice.

As for blends, anyone remember Tropicana's Grapefruit Pineapple? That was the best.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I was told by a retailer that Naked Juice (sort of like Odwalla) is the same juice that Trader Joe's bottles in those plastic bottles. Actually, I've seen Naked juice bottles at Trader Joe's, selling for trader joes prices, which of course, is much less than normal.

That said I used to get Naked Juice tangerine juice and it was round, full, and sweet, while trader joe's/Naked juice tangerine juice during the same time was sour and not so good.

But I haven't had tangerine juice in a while, so this may have changed.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

It's all about Odwalla. The orange juice is absolutely delectable, but the tangerine is divine. And I loathe tangerines. This stuff tastes like sunshine itself.

Absolutely and without question: we have a winner.

Trader Joe's tangerine is pretty damn good, too.

Naked Juice's OJ rocks and is a little cheaper than Odwalla, at least in my local market.

Alas, nearest Trader Joe's is more than an hour from home for me.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

In New York, I see Fresh Samantha juices at least as often as Odwalla. I don't remember if they have an orange juice. Any fans of their juices here?

For what it's worth, I definitely rate Odwalla highly - it's fresh-squeezed from high-quality fruit - but I find not-from-concentrate Tropicana orange juice fine for normal drinking.

Michael aka "Pan"

my attitude is that Tropi already charges an arm and a leg for their juice compared to most brands

Just curious - how much is an arm and a leg in your area relative to OJ pricing? The gorcery stores up here regularly run 2 for $5 sales on the half gallon Tropicana products. On occasion it drops to 2 for $4.

my attitude is that Tropi already charges an arm and a leg for their juice compared to most brands

Just curious - how much is an arm and a leg in your area relative to OJ pricing? The gorcery stores up here regularly run 2 for $5 sales on the half gallon Tropicana products. On occasion it drops to 2 for $4.

2 for $5 and 1 for $2.99 are pretty common around here. I normally don't buy it unless the price is under $3.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...