• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Grinders: Models, Sources, Maintenance/Hygiene

glenn

I'm currently using a Solis Maestro and love it....widely considered to be the best thing on the market for under $200.

About six months ago I switched from a blade grinder to a Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder, and have been quite happy with it for Melitta drip and French Press coffee. I was going between it and the Solis Maestro; but, some of the comments on the coffeegeek site about the Solis Maestro grinders not working well for French Press moved me away from them. The Capresso is supposed to grind fine enough for espresso and even Turkish; but, I haven't tried it out for those purposes.

It is fairly easy to disassemble and clean, has little static build up, is fairly quiet and grinds very consistently. I will say, the static buildup seems to have something to do with the weather or some other variable. Sometimes there is more than others. In any case, I find the grinder is much less messy than playing around with a blade grinder.

I treat it as I treated my blade grinder, measuring the amount of coffee for each pot into the bean hopper and grinding it all at once. I use 1 1/2 tablespoons of whole bean for each "cup" of coffee. The exact middle of the dial seems perfect for Melitta paper filter drip. At that setting it takes about 9-10 seconds to grind 9 Tablespoons.

My only complaint would be that it uses a finned disk under the bottom blade to move the grounds horizontally into the grind hopper, and so leaves a teaspoon or so of coffee there after each grind.

Note, as far as I know, the only difference between the differently priced versions of this grinder is the material of the external housing. If you don't mind black plastic, you can get one for around $100. If you prefer the zinc die cast body with brushed satin or polished chrome finish, it will set you back $140.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 6 months later...

Solis Maestro will be fine for french press.

I just got a Macap M4 and I think it is just as good as a Mazzer for a bit less $. Looks better, has a much better doser, is quieter, and is stepped perfectly(much easier to grind fine and course for different applications and getting back a consitant grind without staring over.)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

In my experience, there are two "really good" grinders, at the two different price-points. The Bodum Antigua (at $65-ish) and the Solis Maestro Plus (at about $150-ish).

As for whether it's 2.5x better... well, that's a personal decision. My grinder is almost 20x more expensive (Mahlkoenig Guatemala), but then again... apples to oranges.

I've owned both (the Bodum and the Solis). The Solis IS a lot better, but if you can't justify the expense, the Bodum is a solid grinder. If it helps your decision-making at all, the Solis is a lot cleaner to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Phaelon 56,

Do you have a thermal carafe that will hold a Melitta drip cone? My husband and I prefer manual drip coffee, and it seems like the best thing would be to drip it directly into a preheated carafe, as you say. But I haven't been able to find one with an opening that will hold the drip cone.

In my domain, Loblaws has introduced a $30. ceramic burr coffee bean mill. It is part of the Presidents Choice Home label products, and may be available where PC is sold in the U.S.

Unfortunately, the product went out of stock in the two stores I visited, so I'll have to wait to see it,

At the low price being asked, I defintely want to try it out. I haven't used a burr grinder since my Braun gave up a few years ago. Come to think of it, the Braun didn't last too long, but the blade grinders go on forever!

I know we're re-hashing, but what are the advantages of the pricey mills? I haven't seen one in my small town...

...jay

In my domain, Loblaws has introduced a $30. ceramic burr coffee bean mill.  It is part of the Presidents Choice Home label products, and may be available where PC is sold in the U.S.

Jay, if you do end up trying the PC burr grinder, could you let us know your impressions? We just received a flyer this week with the PC burr grinder prominently featured, so my interest is piqued as well.

I would like to use the press pot on occasion, but I don't have the grinder to do the job well, nor do I use the press pot often enough to justify even having 1/4 lb ground for French press.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Any grinder under $250 will be marginal at best. The minimum "excellent," "do it all" grinder is the Rancilio Rocky. If you are serious about coffee then that is the minimum you should buy, period. If it isn't that important or you're on a budget stick with the solis maestro. If I were to buy my mom a grinder I would buy her the Solis Maestro or the new Baratza. Something good but not great.

Know that 99% of grinders under the level of a Rocky will produce a good amount of "dust" and give you a layer of sediment in a french press. I personally don't like press coffee pots but thats me.

I make all kinds of coffee so I bought a Macap M4 grinder which is a hefty tag at $370 but it gives me the best grind for espresso I think I could ever want or get from anything else. I paired that with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar and am making espressos, cappuccinos, Americanos, ristrettos, etc that make Starbucks taste like dirt water(if it doesn't already.)

Trust me, you WILL hem and haw about any grinder lesser than a Rocky. Below the Rancilio Rocky level there is really not much of a difference between a cheap burr grinders' output. To me they all stink.

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Any grinder under $250 will be marginal at best.  The minimum "excellent," "do it all" grinder is the Rancilio Rocky.  If you are serious about coffee then that is the minimum you should buy, period.  If it isn't that important or you're on a budget stick with the solis maestro.  If I were to buy my mom a grinder I would buy her the Solis Maestro or the new Baratza.  Something good but not great. 

Know that 99% of grinders under the level of a Rocky will produce a good amount of "dust" and give you a layer of sediment in a french press.  I personally don't like press coffee pots but thats me.

I make all kinds of coffee so I bought a Macap M4 grinder which is a hefty tag at $370 but it gives me the best grind for espresso I think I could ever want or get from anything else.  I paired that with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar and am making espressos, cappuccinos, Americanos, ristrettos, etc that make Starbucks taste like dirt water(if it doesn't already.)

Trust me, you WILL hem and haw about any grinder lesser than a Rocky.  Below the Rancilio Rocky level there is really not much of a difference between a cheap burr grinders' output.  To me they all stink.

This is so pompous. I can't put 370 into a grinder for breakfast coffee, American-style.

In fact I do just fine with the Cuisinart blade grind and brew, which grinds coarsely, and produces no dust or burnt grounds because the coffee is forced through a wind tunnel as soon as it is ground. This works well for me in the morning, when I'm generally inept.

But I am looking for a cheap burr grinder for the occaisional French Press, later in the day. It won't be for Expresso, and I can tolerate a little cloudiness at the bottom.

For these moderate needs, what differences in burr and motor construction could make a difference?

This is so pompous. I can't put 370 into a grinder for breakfast coffee, American-style.

The Rocky should only set you back a little over $200 US, however, unless you are doing esspresso several times a day, it probably doesn't make sense. There is a doserless version which might make a little more sense; but, it is actually more expensive than the one with the doser. However, neither of them have a handy attached container to contain the ground beans, so unless you enjoy sweeping coffee grounds off your counter...

I got a Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinder to replace a blade grinder and been very happy with it for drip and the odd press pot. To me it is quieter and easier to deal with in the morning than my old blade grinder. I just put my beans in, turn the switch, and go put on the kettle. I don't have to stand there and count to 15, (or whatever you do to get an accurate grind from a blade grinder). So just for that, it is worth the investment. As a bonus I get a more consistently ground coffee which seems to taste better to me. There is some added work cleaning it every so often and it is a little bigger on the counter. YMMV.

To me, either the Capresso Infinity or the Solis Maestro are perfectly good mid-level grinders for home use.

-Erik

added comment

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Any grinder under $250 will be marginal at best.  The minimum "excellent," "do it all" grinder is the Rancilio Rocky.  If you are serious about coffee then that is the minimum you should buy, period.  If it isn't that important or you're on a budget stick with the solis maestro.  If I were to buy my mom a grinder I would buy her the Solis Maestro or the new Baratza.  Something good but not great. 

Know that 99% of grinders under the level of a Rocky will produce a good amount of "dust" and give you a layer of sediment in a french press.  I personally don't like press coffee pots but thats me.

I make all kinds of coffee so I bought a Macap M4 grinder which is a hefty tag at $370 but it gives me the best grind for espresso I think I could ever want or get from anything else.  I paired that with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar and am making espressos, cappuccinos, Americanos, ristrettos, etc that make Starbucks taste like dirt water(if it doesn't already.)

Trust me, you WILL hem and haw about any grinder lesser than a Rocky.  Below the Rancilio Rocky level there is really not much of a difference between a cheap burr grinders' output.  To me they all stink.

In fact I do just fine with the Cuisinart blade grind and brew, which grinds coarsely, and produces no dust or burnt grounds because the coffee is forced through a wind tunnel as soon as it is ground. This works well for me in the morning, when I'm generally inept.

But I am looking for a cheap burr grinder for the occaisional French Press, later in the day. It won't be for Expresso, and I can tolerate a little cloudiness at the bottom.

For these moderate needs, what differences in burr and motor construction could make a difference?

It's really not pompous, it's fact. You do say you can tolerate sediment so a cheap conical burr grinder is fine. Since I use mine for espresso more than once a day I need a capable grinder that gives me the best results. Do a search on coffeegeek.com and find out the importance of a grinder even more so than the coffee machine itself. It is well known in the coffee fanatic realm that you buy the grinder first, and then you buy the coffee machine. You will get inferior coffee out of a cheap grinder, especially a blade. However, if it tastes great to you then you are all set. :)

In my domain, Loblaws has introduced a $30. ceramic burr coffee bean mill.  It is part of the Presidents Choice Home label products, and may be available where PC is sold in the U.S.

Jay, if you do end up trying the PC burr grinder, could you let us know your impressions? We just received a flyer this week with the PC burr grinder prominently featured, so my interest is piqued as well.

I would like to use the press pot on occasion, but I don't have the grinder to do the job well, nor do I use the press pot often enough to justify even having 1/4 lb ground for French press.

Sounds like we're in the same league, and not in need of an expensive mill.

I surveyed all the grinders I could find in my town, and bought the PC. It is very similar to the Kenwood, at 40, which has a stronger shelf to support the grounds receptacle. All the models from 30-80 dollars were similar in design and quality (Delonghii, Braun, Cuisinart, Kenmore)>

The Kitchenaid at 170, was well made (steel instead of plastic) but I wasn't convinced that the burr was any better. I would be paying extra for U.S. design and manufacture. (I'm getting into a political area, but from my address I have no particular allegiance to any foreign product.)

My first two batches from the PC were very good, evenly ground, not hot, and saved on the amount of JBM beans used, compared to the coarse grind on the Cuisinart Grind 'n Brew .

I am quite sure I'll switch to the press method, since it now seems to work better.

My first two batches from the PC were very good, evenly ground, not hot, and saved on the amount of JBM beans used, compared to the coarse grind on the Cuisinart Grind 'n Brew .

I am quite sure I'll switch to the press method, since it now seems to work better.

Jay, thanks for the reply and your impressions. I think I'll try out the PC grinder, if I can find one. Unfortunately, my nearest Superstore was sold out so I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that they get more in stock.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I think it's helpful to keep frequency of use, brewing method and tolerance of sediment in mind when assessing the value proposition of various grinding options. I used a cheap whirl blade grinder for many years and made only drip coffee. I'd grind for X number of seconds, shake the grinder to redistribute the grounds and then pulse a few times before adding grounds to the filter.

There was a certain inconsistency to the particle size but given the choice of fresh whole beans ground in this manner or pre-ground packaged coffee I'm confident that a cheap blade grinder and whole bean is the better choice.

As I've mentioned previously - I'm not a big fan of press pot coffee although I have it on occasion ( I have minimal tolerance of sediment). But I do enjoy vacuum pot coffee on occasion and consistent grind is crucial for best results.

Please do report back to us on the $30 burr grinder. I once purchased a $30 Melitta "burr grinder" to leave at my GF's house for my visits there. It was loud, ground hot and yielded more dust than particles. I returned it and got a $20 Krups blade grinder instead - far better solution for drip coffee.

Please do report back to us on the $30 burr grinder. I once purchased a $30 Melitta "burr grinder" to leave at my GF's house for my visits there. It was loud, ground hot and yielded more dust than particles. I returned it and got a $20 Krups blade grinder instead - far better solution for drip coffee.

The $30 PC grinder is essentially the same as the $40 Kenmore, which is sometimes discounted. (In my previous post I referred to it as the Kenwood, my bad!)

I have to use it near the coarse setting to get even , small grounds. Maybe it will break in after awhile. The grounds are cool, and the noise level is OK, a lot less than the Cuis. Grind'n Brew, which grinds too coarsely.

So far I'm finding that it is a good replacement for the Braun burr I had a few years ago, and at this price I won't worry about repairing it when it gives up.

Here is my grinder question. I want to get two small but very high quality grinders for espresso. The grinders are meant to grind coffee for a high end commercial espresso machine, probably the Synesso Cyncra.

I want two grinders so i can have decaf and regular (I need both at home).

Commercial grinders are an option EXCEPT that they tend to be very large (I would like this to fit under a kitchen cabinet). Also, commercial grinders are set up for large volume, so the big issue with them is designs to avoid overheating when they are used for shot after shot all day long. That isn't an issue at home where we won't be doing that many shots at home. I don't need huge canisters for the beans because I don't go through that much coffee.

At one extreme, the Swift grinder from La Marzocco is ridiculously expensive, way too tall, but it does have twin canisters so the decaf / regular thing works. So it is just overkill for what i want.

I'd prefer not to pay as much as the Swift, but on the other hand it is silly to buy a high end espresso machine and then feed it with cheapo grinders that are not up to the task of producing the very fine even grind that will make the best espresso.

In looking at reviews on various web sites it is a bit confusing because a person reviewing home grinders will come up with one idea of what the "best" one is, without even considering machines in other classes. Sometimes this is done on the basis of a price class. Sometimes it is not price so much as machines that you might find at Williams Sonoma, versus machines that are distributed via professional sources.

So far I have gathered that the Mazzer Mini, and the new Mazzer Mini Electronic seem to be contenders. Any comments on whether the electronic one is worthwhile?

Home style grinders may also work....

Recommendations please...

Nathan

I want two grinders so i can have decaf and regular (I need both at home).

Nathan, what's your reasoning for having two grinders rather than just switching the beans as needed? Some of the better grinders have a "gate" at the bottom of the bean hopper so you can remove it without spilling the beans, so to speak.

I'm guessing that you are picturing a scenario where some people want caffeinated while others want decaff and you don't want to mess with swapping the beans in one grinder.

Come to think of it, there's also the issue of adjusting the grind. Maybe your two coffees have the same optimal grind setting, but then again, maybe not.

Commercial grinders are an option EXCEPT that they tend to be very large (I would like this to fit under a kitchen cabinet).
The Macap M4 and M5 are serious grinders that will fit beneath a standard cabinet height. I've heard of people cutting down the hoppers on other grinders to make them fit...

Like you, I've been researching. I can't relate any direct experience since I still haven't made up my mind about a better grinder. I bet Owen will have something to say about this. :wink:

p.s. The Synesso machines look awesome. A machine of that quality calls for a top-notch grinder (or two).

I'm guessing that you are picturing a scenario where some people want caffeinated while others want decaff and you don't want to mess with swapping the beans in one grinder.

Come to think of it, there's also the issue of adjusting the grind. Maybe your two coffees have the same optimal grind setting, but then again, maybe not.

Exactly! After dinner some people ask for one and some for the other. Swapping out is a pain, and as you point out it is nice to dial in the ideal grind for each bean. Obviously, two grinders are a luxury, but I am considering it.

The 2-group Synesso machine also lets you set the brew temperature for each group head independently. So one can be set for optimum regular and the other optimum decaf.

Nathan

Have you ruled out a couple of Rancillo Rockys, Nathan? They would fit under a standard counter.

I haven't ruled them out at all... certainly they are in the running. I'd like to understand what the tradeoff is between them, the Macap and Mazzer grinders...and if there is anything else I should consider.

Nathan

Have you ruled out a couple of Rancillo Rockys, Nathan? They would fit under a standard counter.

I haven't ruled them out at all... certainly they are in the running. I'd like to understand what the tradeoff is between them, the Macap and Mazzer grinders...and if there is anything else I should consider.

The Macap M4 is amazing!

Do any of these recommended burr grinder models have a container for the unground beans that is opaque? I read in some Starbucks propoganda that light exposure is bad for beans. I don't want to keep my beans on the counter with direct light exposure. Every model that I have looked at has a clear glass or plastic bean holder. (I am SUCH a coffee geek.) If text could blush, these letters would be rosy pink.

I guess the only practical solution would be to but the bag that the beans came in over the bean holder.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Do any of these recommended burr grinder models have a container for the unground beans that is opaque?  I read in some Starbucks propoganda that light exposure is bad for beans.  I don't want to keep my beans on the counter with direct light exposure.  Every model that I have looked at has a clear glass or plastic bean holder.  (I am SUCH a coffee geek.)  If text could blush, these letters would be rosy pink.

I guess the only practical solution would be to but the bag that the beans came in over the bean holder.

Grind on demand. There's no benefit at all to keeping your beans in the hopper in a domestic environment.

Bainesy

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

• 4 weeks later...

It's really not pompous, it's fact. You do say you can tolerate sediment so a cheap conical burr grinder is fine. Since I use mine for espresso more than once a day I need a capable grinder that gives me the best results. Do a search on coffeegeek.com and find out the importance of a grinder even more so than the coffee machine itself. It is well known in the coffee fanatic realm that you buy the grinder first, and then you buy the coffee machine. You will get inferior coffee out of a cheap grinder, especially a blade. However, if it tastes great to you then you are all set. :)

Well Rich, I'm beginning to agree with you. You get what you pay for. My cheap burr grinder is fine for filtered coffee, but it produces a lot of dust, even on the coarse setting. As well, the housing and container parts are all plastic, and fit together like dominos; when one part is stressed, it all falls apart and makes quite a mess.

So, I went one or two notches up, and got a KitchenAid A-9, about $160. I have only had it a few days, but it seems to grind more evenly, without nearly as much dust. But there is still some uneveness, and I suppose the more expensive grinders avoid that. For my early morning use, I don't think it is important. But I have come to realise that that there is some value in the the more expensive grinders, if you need them.

Not sure if this was addressed elsewhere for you Nathan although I recall a thread somewhere in which Malachi suggested looking at the Cimbali Jr. I'm not personally familiar with it but implicitly trust his judgement on all things coffee related - definitely put that one on your short list to check out.

Mazzers have stepless grinding - ther is a fully adjustable collar to set fineness of grind - it does not use click style detentes. Friends who have Rancilio Rocky's are generally satisfied with them but have mentioned that on occasion, in order to get the desired extraction time, they needed a half-stop setting that wasn't available on their Rocky.

The Macap also uses stepped or click-stop style settings - a disadvantage in my opinion. I also recall a CoffeeGeek "First Look" that mentioned a less solid feel/build quality to the doser forks.

In reality you can't go wrong with any of these grinders for home use but my personal favorite for the home is the Mazzer Mini model with switch (vs timer), doser (vs doserless) and the short hopper.

It's stepless, runs quiet, is built like a tank, fits under cabinets and has a great feel. The dosing is slightly idiosyncratic (tends to shoot the grounds off to the left if the lever is pulled quickly) but there are some easy mods to fix that. Or you just adjust the way you hold the portafilter and pull the lever (which is what I do).