• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hum sui gok/hom sui gok

prasantrin

• 1 month later...

OK, so I'm still after my mother for the recipe. She will gladly make it for me but will not wait until I'm home to go through each step of the recipe. Oh boy.

Anyways, in regards to the dough, she usues the ngoh mai foon (glutonous rice flour), a bit of cake flour and a bit of instant mashed potato flakes. Weird but oh so tasty. If you don't add the last two flours, it will not be golden.

Also, she doesn't use sugar in the dough. Every time I taste one that has sugar in the dough, it doesn't taste right to me.

Mom also said that fresh water chestnuts are key to this dish. Otherwise, there won't be that textural crunch. The filling needs to be well seasoned but DRY. Don't make a soupy filling. Mom usually does:

Shiitake mushrooms

Dried Shrimp

Preserved turnips

Scallions

Cilantro

Pork

They're all finely minced and seasoned with soy sauce, cooking wine and a bit of sesame oil.

When I get more information, I'll pass it on. Then again, I said this a few years back and I STILL haven't gotten a complete recipe. I know, I suck, I know...sorry!!!