• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonbons sticking in molds

stscam

Yikes! My bon bons have begun to stick in my molds, and I'm losing 15-30% of them.

The molds are Chocolate World domes with 21 cavities. I've been using them for 2-4 years, so they should be well-broken in. When I clean them I spray the cavities with hot water, then dry them with a soft towel.

I almost always decorate the cavities before molding the shell. I use a combination of luster dusts and colored cocoa butter - both of which are brushed on as separate layers (dust first). Then I do the shell with tempered couverture. After letting that set overnight, I add the ganache filling. And finally, I bottom them with tempered chocolate.

After the finished pieces have set for a few hours or overnight, I de-mold. And that's when I find pieces that do not wish to release.

Has anyone had similar experiences and found a solution?

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Yikes! My bon bons have begun to stick in my molds, and I'm losing 15-30% of them.

The molds are Chocolate World domes with 21 cavities. I've been using them for 2-4 years, so they should be well-broken in. When I clean them I spray the cavities with hot water, then dry them with a soft towel.

I almost always decorate the cavities before molding the shell. I use a combination of luster dusts and colored cocoa butter - both of which are brushed on as separate layers (dust first). Then I do the shell with tempered couverture. After letting that set overnight, I add the ganache filling. And finally, I bottom them with tempered chocolate.

After the finished pieces have set for a few hours or overnight, I de-mold. And that's when I find pieces that do not wish to release.

Has anyone had similar experiences and found a solution?

Cheers,

Steve

Milk, dark or white? Are you giving them any time in the fridge during your molding?

I only had the sticky problem when , in summer was particulary hot in my kitchen and maybe a tad humid, also as Kerry mentioned , It happend last time I pass them in the fridge at the end ,the result was not exactley sticky but lots of the color stayed in the molds , wich never happens.Definately no fridge even in I am in a hurry.

Vanessa

I experienced that problem before when the chocolates in our luster dusted molds just became "sticky" one day and never quite recovered, but we never did come up with a good explanation or solution. We put them in the freezer until they would come out -- sometimes for 15 minutes or longer. Someone once told me that a thicker chocolate shell helps de-molding them easier, so maybe that's something to try if you don't mind a thicker shell.