• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking/baking at the same time

jgm

This seems a bit of a strange question, but maybe not.

As my cooking skills expand, I'm running out of all kinds of things, including ovens. We solved part of the problem by buying a microwave/convection combo, which we adore. Several times over the past couple of years, I've contemplated whether it would be a problem to have, say, a chocolate cake or bread in the oven at the same time as ...maybe something with bacon. In other words, when two very different, but very fragrant foods are in the oven at the same time, uncovered, is the transfer of flavor or aroma a significant issue?

Maybe it's not; I've never heard anyone say before that they baked the cake at the same time they baked the pork loin, and the cake had a strange pork aroma to it. But I still hesitate to do it. As a bona-fide kitchen klutz who manages to do enough dumb things to screw up dinner, I try to avoid problems when I can. :blink: