• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Massaman Thai Curry Paste is scarce

Doodad

It is really weird. I can not find it anywhere in my neck of Atlanta. And this is not a product that was difficult to find until about 2 months ago. And I noticed looking yesterday that even yellow curry is now scarce. Not even taste of thai type stuff.

We usually use Maesri brand and can find all the flavors at the various nearby stores. Now even the Asian groceries are missing this item. Red, green, golden, vermont no problem. It is the Massaman and that is what we prefer. I was gonna stick some in my daughter's stocking she loves it that much.

Can anybody shed some light?

ever considered making your own?  Maybe then putting it in a decorative container?

Sincerely,

Dante

Yeah, but this is my daughter we are talking about. We call the lady on the can the Betty Crocker of Thailand. What she grew up on; just like Mom used to buy ya know?

Well, I just looked in my pantry and found the exact stuff you're looking for, Masaman Curry Paste - Maesri Brand from Thailand. Cost all of $.79 for a 4 ounce can.

I don't really remember when I purchased it, but on my next walk through Chinatown, I'll take a look in a grocery or two.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Have you looked to see if they have the larger plastic tubs of Masaman? 14 oz., and my market tends to have the Mae Ploy brand of the tubs, but can's of Maesri.

Also, I've noticed with my Asian market, which is exceptionally well-stocked, that sometimes they are out of a type of paste for a couple of weeks, which leads me to believe that they don't order unless they've got a big order.

Keep looking, and it's worth requesting it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I went to buy red curry paste at the big grocery store a week ago and the shelf was bare. Isn't this how rumors get started?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm sure you'd rather buy it locally, but it does appear to be available online. Amazon has it through one of it's partner vendors. It looks like ordering it direct from the partner is cheaper. http://www.importfood.com/

I've got no experience ordering from this company, but Amazon usually partners with pretty reputable vendors, at least in my experience.

Good luck!

I've had a hard time finding the little cans of Maesri Massaman Curry Paste in Canada, and that's been going on for years. I don't know why that is, since Massaman tends to be a very popular curry with Thai-food newbies. It's what my dad used to make peanut sauce, so whenever I found it, I'd buy a couple of cans. There are a couple of Chinese grocery stores in Montreal that had a good amount of stock the last time I was there, but that was some time ago.

I'm sure you'd rather buy it locally, but it does appear to be available online.  Amazon has it through one of it's partner vendors.  It looks like ordering it direct from the partner is cheaper.  http://www.importfood.com/

I've got no experience ordering from this company, but Amazon usually partners with pretty reputable vendors, at least in my experience.

Good luck!

ImportFood might be a decent retail company, but I have issues with their ethics, and would never buy from them.

Yeah, but this is my daughter we are talking about.  We call the lady on the can the Betty Crocker  of Thailand.  What she grew up on; just like Mom used to buy ya know?

Gotcha.

Sorry- can't help you, then. :sad: If you lived in NH, I could point you in the right direction...

Sincerely,

Dante

lots of it in toronto's Chinatown (downtown).

It's not gone, it's just not getting to Atlanta for some reason. Along with rain, I hear.

We had a similar issue here until the last month or so.

When it rains, it pours (and also sometimes snows).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

ImportFood might be a decent retail company, but I have issues with their ethics, and would never buy from them.

Yikes! What's that all about. I've been buying stuff from them for about a year & they've been great to deal with. What don't I know (that I probably should)?

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/