• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meal Time and Daylight

snowangel

We are in the dark days of December. Unlike when it light until 9:00 pm, I find myself starting dinner preps earlier and earlier, and tapping my toes earlier and earlier.

In the first days of September and those wonderful April and May days, the kids are happy to get up early and have a good breakfast. Now that it's dark in the morning, I pack them off to the school bus with a couple of oatmeal cookies.

We seem to like eating when it's light outside.

How do your meal habits change when the dark comes earlier and stays later?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

During the week, definitely. We usually eat around 7-7:30 when it's light out during the school week, later in the summer when the light lasts the longest. Now, I'm finding I've pushed that back by a good hour, and I find myself wondering at 8:00 p.m. why my 15 year old isn't in bed yet. :biggrin:

The weekends seem to be about the same time though. Probably because we're all busy running errands and getting stuff done that we don't have time for during the week.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yeah, the changing light definitely has an impact on me. Here at school, I'll eat dinner as early as 5:00 because I'm starving, though I usually do have a light snack around 7 or 8. At home, we tend to eat dinner around 8:00, but we push it back more and more as it gets darker and darker. We also tend to eat a lot more things involving melted cheese, but I'm not sure if that can be chalked up to biology.

When do people eat in areas right on the equator? When do they eat up at the Arctic Circle? Interesting...

Interesting point. Even though my breakfast and lunch are still about the same I am having that toes tapping thing by 5 these days when we usually eat around 7:30. I am going to pay closer attention. Thanks for the topic.

Yeah, the changing light definitely has an impact on me. Here at school, I'll eat dinner as early as 5:00 because I'm starving, though I usually do have a light snack around 7 or 8. At home, we tend to eat dinner around 8:00, but we push it back more and more as it gets darker and darker. We also tend to eat a lot more things involving melted cheese, but I'm not sure if that can be chalked up to biology.

When do people eat in areas right on the equator? When do they eat up at the Arctic Circle? Interesting...

See, I lived right on the equator until I moved to Manchester about 3 months ago.

And the time at which I have dinner hasn't changed, even though it gets darker here much quicker.

That said, I do notice my flatmates having dinner later and later as it gets dark earlier.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

We have the opposite problem here. It's nearly Summer and despite having a number of referendum over the years, the government decided we needed ANOTHER trial of daylight saving. Getting a farmer to come inside during daylight hours is bad enough but now made worse by shifting the clock. Comments are made about getting sunburnt at the dinner table!! It gets dark after 8pm but I need to have the children fed, bathed and ready for bed by 7.30pm otherwise getting ready for school in the morning is a nightmare. As its harvest time, the kids and I often eat on our own and my husband has his whenever he knocks off (anytime between 8.30 and midnight).

• 1 year later...

Once again, we have daylight saving's time. It is light earlier (easier to shag one's sorry ass out of bed), but it is dark earlier, and once again, we are having dinner earlier. Oh, for those lazy, crazy days of summer when we grilled and ate off the grill at some hour at which most kids should be in bed, but weren't.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"