• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jicama question

Doodad

It's an interesting vegetable and I am happy that it is now more widely available.

I shred it and pickle it with ginger, cut it into matchsticks and combine with oranges and grapes for a fruit salad with a bit of crunch and have substituted it for apples in Waldorf salad because the apples I had were mushy.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's an interesting vegetable and I am happy that it is now more widely available. 

I shred it and pickle it with ginger, cut it into matchsticks and combine with oranges and grapes for a fruit salad with a bit of crunch and have substituted it for apples in Waldorf salad because the apples I had were mushy.

It is good and I mispoke up top. It will have roast plantains not apples in the salad.

Use it any place you want a nice crunchy vegetable. It's especially nice in salads featuring Southwestern flavors, and it's also a nice, slightly sweet snack.

One thing I found in Mexico: jicama is yummy dipped in peanut butter.

Pickling it with ginger sounds delicious. I have to try that!

Just wanted to add: We call them "Singkamas" and they're sold by street vendors as snacks. Dips could include a number of combinations, popular dips: Fish sauce with lime juice, soya sauce, or a spiced vinegar. Can also be mixed in dumpling recipes in place of waterchestnuts. Also good in summer rolls with a lime fish sauce dip.

Or try it plain dipping it in sauteed shrimp paste (bagoong). It is so addictive that you can eat a whole bowlful of singkamas slices (jicama).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A local independent Hispanic restaurant (owned by a Mexican-American and a Salvadorean) serves sticks of jicama that have been sprinkled with lime juice and a mixture of ground toasted cumin, a mild ground chile and a small amount of raw sugar. I asked about the chile powder and was told it was ancho and "Colorado" ??

They deliver the bowl of jicama sticks to the table along with the ubiquitous chips and salsa. I think they know what they are doing, it seems to really stimulate the appetite.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A local independent Hispanic restaurant (owned by a Mexican-American and a Salvadorean) serves sticks of jicama that have been sprinkled with lime juice and a mixture of ground toasted cumin, a mild ground chile and a small amount of raw sugar.  I asked about the chile powder and was told it was ancho and "Colorado" ??

They deliver the bowl of jicama sticks to the table along with the ubiquitous chips and salsa.  I think they know what they are doing, it seems to really stimulate the appetite.

Colorado is another name for dried new mexico chiles.

A local independent Hispanic restaurant (owned by a Mexican-American and a Salvadorean) serves sticks of jicama that have been sprinkled with lime juice and a mixture of ground toasted cumin, a mild ground chile and a small amount of raw sugar.  I asked about the chile powder and was told it was ancho and "Colorado" ??

They deliver the bowl of jicama sticks to the table along with the ubiquitous chips and salsa.  I think they know what they are doing, it seems to really stimulate the appetite.

Colorado is another name for dried new mexico chiles.

I was wondering if that was it, however they have dishes on their menu that are made with "New Mexico" chiles. One of the servers told me that they called it Colorado because they layer two types of ground chile in a jar, the ancho is brown-red and the other is bright red and it looks like the walls of the Grand Canyon.

I thought he was joking with me, but my friends bought this story, hook, line and sinker.

The same server also told us funny stories about their staffing problems during the World Cup finals when they had to send someone to the sports bar down the street to retrieve kitchen staff and servers, so I wasn't too sure his story had any basis in reality.

Or try it plain dipping it in sauteed shrimp paste (bagoong). It is so addictive that you can eat a whole bowlful of singkamas slices (jicama).

ahhhhh you suck..!!!! just kidding.. hehehe you just reminded me of home. yeah back in Malaysia we have something close to that called "Rojak" MMMMM yummy....

ahhhhh you suck..!!!! just kidding.. hehehe you just reminded me of home. yeah back in Malaysia we have something close to that called "Rojak" MMMMM yummy....

Maybe you need to start a rojak topic cuz I have been trying to replicate the street stall version I had in Singapore and I am not hitting the mark.